Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Computer Science Jobs

sdet
03-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi,

I will graduate from University of Waterloo with a degree in computer sciecne next yr. I am an international student here & I wont have any canadian job experience when I graduate. So I am really worried about the job prospects when I gradute. Can anyone give me some idea on what to expect?

lookingforjob
03-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi,

I will graduate from University of Waterloo with a degree in computer sciecne next yr. I am an international student here & I wont have any canadian job experience when I graduate. So I am really worried about the job prospects when I gradute. Can anyone give me some idea on what to expect?

It is a very common misconception that not having “Canadian Experience” will be a problem when looking for job in Canada. This is simply not the case. The “Canadian Experience” myth is perpetuated by recruiters in lousy attempt to lowball what they pay you. Please tell me how does US job experience or UK job experience for example differ from “Canadian Experience”? If it does then I would say that in general having US or UK job experience looks better on your resume :).

Not having any job experience is another story altogether. In this case it will be a little harder to get your first job, but after that will be OK.

The only thing that matters is your skill set and your ability to do the job you are hired to do.

Good luck!

Ronin
03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Yes, people should not worry about that in a field such as computer science.
Computers are a universal language!
You can work in just about any country in the world, and everything is still virtually the same.

Tsveta
03-28-2006, 05:50 PM
I’m afraid that I will repeat myself but you should put emphasis on your education and skills and on your ability to learn. Your first job will be a little harder to get and maybe won’t be very well paid but in time you can get promoted or find another job.
Do you have a work permit?

sdet
03-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I’m afraid that I will repeat myself but you should put emphasis on your education and skills and on your ability to learn. Your first job will be a little harder to get and maybe won’t be very well paid but in time you can get promoted or find another job.
Do you have a work permit?

Hi,

After I graduate I will have a 1 year work permit to work in canada. For now I am just keeping my fingers crossed.

And thank you everyone for your reply.

lookingforjob
03-29-2006, 09:26 AM
The Canadian IT market is really hot now and I don't think you'll have problems finding a decent job. Do some research and don't jump on the first job just for the sake of experience. Find a good job that pays well.

Good luck!

contractor
03-29-2006, 01:04 PM
I agree, the job market is very good at the moment; there are lots of positions available. Are you coming to Toronto or you are staying in Waterloo?

lookingforjob
03-29-2006, 01:26 PM
I agree, the job market is very good at the moment; there are lots of positions available. Are you coming to Toronto or you are staying in Waterloo?

Waterloo has very strong IT industry sector and he might be able to get a job there. Also don't forget the major insurance companies having their headquarters in Waterloo - I bet they need software engineers.

sdet
03-29-2006, 05:44 PM

I dont know yet. Probably depends on where I get the best offer. I am willing to relocate to anywhere needed. The only worry for me is now no experience, where as most of the CS student here at waterloo have co-op experience before they gradute. So lets see.

Ladyluck
03-29-2006, 05:47 PM
You can still compete with them.
Perhaps you can do some volunteer work experience to get your foot in the door?