Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Working with no SIN?

mika
03-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi, I recently came to Canada and I was wondering can I start working without SIN. It will take 2-4 weeks to receive it and meanwhile I want to start working.
Any thoughts?

Thank you.

bongi
03-25-2006, 12:47 PM
It's not legal to work without a SIN. Both you and the employer can get into trouble for this. Did you find a job already? If you go on an interview you can explain your situation. Besides I've never been on an interview where they ask for my SIN. When they hire you they will need it for tax purposes and payroll, that's all.

SDuncan
03-26-2006, 01:09 PM
It’s not a good idea to work without SIN. Are you a landed immigrant? If yes, you will receive your SIN in the mail in 2 to 3 weeks, depending how busy the HR branch is. Don’t worry you’ll get it in time. If the interviewer asks you just tell him the truth. It wouldn’t be a problem.

lookingforjob
03-27-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't think it's legal to work in Canada without SIN (there might be some exceptions, but I'm not sure). As SDuncan said, it's better to wait for the SIN and then start work. This doesn't mean that you can't start your job search without a SIN number. Finding a job is not a very quick process usually, and the sooner you start looking, the better.

mika
03-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm looking for a job at the moment but probably I'll get my SIN first. What was I thinking.... I won't find a job very easy. I don't have Canadian experience.

:confused:

Tsveta
03-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Finding a job is never easy for a newcomer. A lot of jobseekers are frustrated when the recruiter/employer ask about your Canadian experience. It depends in what field you are working. If you are a doctor or teacher for example you should complete some tests first in order to get your certificate to practice here and maybe you will need a year to study. But you came as a skilled qualified worker to Canada so this is what is important and this is what you should put emphasis on.

Ladyluck
04-05-2006, 02:06 AM
Tsveta is spot on, again!

Just point out your positives, dont focus on negatives!

mika
04-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Guess what, I got my SIN, but no job on the horizon.:o
Actually I'm thinking of getting an MBA first. I will probably need to study one more year, so I'm considering that. I will apply to several Universities and if I’m lucky I’ll start classes this fall.