Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Licence?

andre
08-26-2004, 10:36 AM
I am a professional chef. Do I need a licence to practice my profession?

Tsveta
08-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Maybe there are some standards that you have to meet in order to practice. There must some association where you’ll be able to find more info. Try the ministry of Agriculture and Food: http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/index.html

lowlight22
02-28-2006, 10:02 PM
As long as you have the qualification you should be ok.

Your qualification basically is your license.
An employers will see this, and employ you are a full salary chef (not an apprentice).

trappercase
03-08-2006, 08:50 AM
I am a professional chef. Do I need a licence to practice my profession?

If you are looking for work in the Hotel industry, you will need to provide your papers. A lot of hotels will actually help you in obtaining higher "blocks". If you are looking for work in a restaurant, experience is more important than education, in my opinion, and I am a restaurant general manager. My rule of thumb is to hire attitude and train skills. In a lot of restaurants the menu is set and there is not a lot of room for creativity.

Tim
03-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Yes, experience is most important.
But for chefs I believe they want to see qualifications 99% of the time.
You can't be a chef unless you've learnt things like hygiene, food storage requirements etc etc.

You cant learn everything just from experience.

lookingforjob
03-14-2006, 09:43 AM
There are many chef schools, for example these guys have several schools across Ontario - liaisoncollege.com. You can take an online cooking courses too, in case you need them.

lowlight22
03-22-2006, 06:19 PM
The online cooking courses would cover the theory aspects, but what about practical?

I would assume you'd have to gain some sort of practical experience before becoming fully qualified?