Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Working in the US?

Simon
04-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi, I am a Canadian citizen and I was curious could I work in the US. Do I need a work permit and where shall I pay taxes if I work there?

Tsveta
04-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Yes you need a work permit but it is not difficult to get one. You need a job offer first. Do you want to move to US permanently or just for a couple of years? You pay taxes in Canada because you are a Canadian citizen. If you no longer want to be a Permanent Resident you have to close all you bank accounts, credit cards, sell your house, etc… and after 3 years, you will be able to pay taxes in the US (you are still a Canadian Citizen). I am not 100% sure about the taxes though so better check that with your accountant.

Simon
04-11-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure I want to move there but it is very tempting. The rates are much higher and the contracts duration are much longer...Why it is such a big difference between Canada and the States I don’t know. In Canada everything is like in slow motion compared to US. People are more relaxed; nothing to worry about; take your time :)

kokhua
04-21-2006, 05:33 AM
I'm not sure I want to move there but it is very tempting. The rates are much higher and the contracts duration are much longer...Why it is such a big difference between Canada and the States I don’t know. In Canada everything is like in slow motion compared to US. People are more relaxed; nothing to worry about; take your time :)

Its still depend on which cities and states you are looking for. As for my recommendation, California and Delware are still the best job seeking location for you to start up.

lookingforjob
04-21-2006, 09:23 AM
If I move to US I'll definitely move to one of the southern states. Canadian winter is way to loon, at least for me ;).

kokhua
04-22-2006, 08:24 AM
If I move to US I'll definitely move to one of the southern states. Canadian winter is way to loon, at least for me ;).

I will suggest Florida and Southern California, you will love.:)