Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear...

workaholic
04-16-2006, 01:17 AM
...when you submit a job application? My mother works in Human Resources and her advice was always to dress up as though you were going to an interview when you submit your application. Her theory was that if you were interviewed on the spot you would be prepared.

Does anyone else do this? It's become a habit for me and there have been times when I was interviewed at the time I submitted my app.

futurepop
04-16-2006, 03:33 PM
I've never dropped off a resume by myself. Some people say that it works but I don't believe in that. Most of the times your Resume will end up in the trash immediately after you leave. I always call the recruiters and send them my resume via email after the phone conversation.

jojoba
04-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Does anyone else do this? It's become a habit for me and there have been times when I was interviewed at the time I submitted my app.

Wow, lucky you! Interviewed on the spot... Maybe they needed to hire somebody right away and you were there :)

That’s a good tip but I’ve never done that either.

Simon
04-17-2006, 09:30 PM
I’ve never dropped off an application for job. I always contact them by phone or email. Does this really work? Do you drop off your applications to random companies (go to an office building and give your resume) or you selected them first?
I certainly wouldn’t go dressed in my sweat pants and sneakers.

;)

lana
04-19-2006, 09:14 AM
I’ve done that once or twice and I agree you should be dressed up. Put your Resume in a neat nice folder and give it if possible to the Manager of Operations or HR. ;)

lookingforjob
04-20-2006, 02:34 PM
...when you submit a job application? My mother works in Human Resources and her advice was always to dress up as though you were going to an interview when you submit your application. Her theory was that if you were interviewed on the spot you would be prepared.

I work mostly with recruiters, that's why I don't have experience with such situations. I seriously doubt that somebody will interview you on the spot, at the same time you drop off your resume...

workaholic
04-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Wow, lucky you! Interviewed on the spot... Maybe they needed to hire somebody right away and you were there :)

That’s a good tip but I’ve never done that either.

Yes that was the case. I was very lucky. I don't randomly drop off my resume. I first call around to see who is hiring and only go to those places that are. Even through companies say that they keep resumes on file for x months, it really is a waste to leave one at places that are not hiring.

lookingforjob
04-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Yes that was the case. I was very lucky. I don't randomly drop off my resume. I first call around to see who is hiring and only go to those places that are. Even through companies say that they keep resumes on file for x months, it really is a waste to leave one at places that are not hiring.

How exactly do you find out, if a company is hiring? They might tell you anything on the phone (most likely they won't discuss their hiring policy), and they still can discard you resume.