Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Blogging for $$

workaholic
04-16-2006, 01:27 AM
I've heard blogging is a good way to make money via selling adspace. Does anyone here do this? Have you had good returns on your time? If so how long did it take. I'm a freelance writer (amateur) and thought this might be a good way to bring in some extra cash.

futurepop
04-16-2006, 03:29 PM
What do you mean, to create web sites and sell the space for ads, or to write articles for people who already have web sites? I think both can make you money but I've never done that.

jojoba
04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
I have a friend who writes articles for different web sites and he is very busy. He finds his clients from some web masters’ forum ... He is booked for 1 month ahead and I guess he makes good dough. Just some ideas for you :)

lookingforjob
04-20-2006, 02:42 PM
I've heard blogging is a good way to make money via selling adspace. Does anyone here do this? Have you had good returns on your time? If so how long did it take. I'm a freelance writer (amateur) and thought this might be a good way to bring in some extra cash.

Famous bloggers make lots of money, because they have devoted audience. You need to identify a market niche and try to establish yourself as an expert there. Also you have to write daily posts, otherwise you will quickly lose whatever readership you have gained.

aladin42
04-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Famous bloggers make lots of money, because they have devoted audience. You need to identify a market niche and try to establish yourself as an expert there. Also you have to write daily posts, otherwise you will quickly lose whatever readership you have gained.

Yes you have to write every day to keep it running. People have to feel the need to come back to your site to learn something new.

workaholic
04-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah, I'm learning that the blogs that make the most money have a large readership and so they can command high ad rates. It'll take a long time to build a site like that. However, I am finding that people do need content for their existing sites and so are willing to pay for articles that bring in readers. Thanks Jojoba for the heads up :D

lookingforjob
04-24-2006, 10:33 AM
If you love writing I would advise to start your own blog, and see how it goes. You can always write for somebody else, but the revenue of your own business if you succeed will be much higher :).

Luke333
04-24-2006, 01:44 PM
I've started mine, but it's far from being easy. Takes a lot of patience. The better approach is to look at blogs as "supplementing" your income only.

lookingforjob
04-24-2006, 03:31 PM
I've started mine, but it's far from being easy. Takes a lot of patience. The better approach is to look at blogs as "supplementing" your income only.

If it was easy, then everybody would do it :). Keep posting several times a week, and also post on other blogs related to yours and I'm sure you'll see positive results sooner than later. Good luck!

aladin42
04-26-2006, 09:02 AM
If you love writing I would advise to start your own blog, and see how it goes. You can always write for somebody else, but the revenue of your own business if you succeed will be much higher :).

I would add - PROMOTION, PROMOTION, PROMOTION.
This is very important and if you can spend money on advertizing it won’t hurt.

lookingforjob
04-26-2006, 01:58 PM
It is relatively easy to promote a blog, but you have to post fresh content regularly.

workaholic
04-30-2006, 10:05 PM
One other thing I'm finding is that there usually seems to be a lot of people blogging on the same topics. You really have to find something unique or have a unique voice or otherwise stand out from the 1000's of other people blogging. It's like trying to find that hit television show. :p

Tim
05-09-2006, 08:59 PM
I know, I agree. I mean how many blogs can you have on cameras or music or sport?
It gets a bit much.

And I have to ask why would anyone care or want to read about what I write?

sleek
05-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I know, I agree. I mean how many blogs can you have on cameras or music or sport?
It gets a bit much.

And I have to ask why would anyone care or want to read about what I write?

If you are an expert on a certain field, people will read it.
But thats the problem - alot of people think they are experts but they arent.
________
R75 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R75)

lookingforjob
05-11-2006, 10:32 AM
If you are an expert on a certain field, people will read it.
But thats the problem - alot of people think they are experts but they arent.

Exactly! First establish yourself in your market niche and you'll see your user base growing fast. Having unique writing style and posting on controversial topics does help too ;)

Tim
05-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Ok thanks guys.
Is there any research I can do on writing styles?
What is an effective style?

workaholic
05-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Ok thanks guys.
Is there any research I can do on writing styles?
What is an effective style?

I think humor is an effective writing style. At least I'm attracted by it. I think it all depends on what you are writing about. Political and religious subjects seem to require either a serious tone or a satirical one, whereas pop culture type things can be more playful.

My suggestion is to do a lot of writing, even if it is for your own benefit. That is how I found the writing style I like and now work to perfect it. Another thing you can do is read. A Lot. Maybe start at Technorati and read the top 100 blogs (http://technorati.com/pop/blogs/). There should be a diverse enough writing styles to give you an idea of what's out there. Good Luck :)

Tricky
05-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Yes, if you are funny, you immediately engage people.
People these days are looking for fun and something different online, not bland journalism like in the newspapers.
________
KTM 250SX (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/KTM_250SX)