Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Difference between "skilled Worker" residency and work permit?

Angie
02-16-2008, 08:47 PM
I am trying to find information out for my American fiance. He lives in PA and works on motorcycles and cars. I can't move to the States or sponsor him for the same reason which is that I am disabled (been on dialysis for over 6 years, just had a kidney transplant, but is not completely working).

I have no money as I lost everything when I got sick and couldn't work my old job anymore.

My fiance is quite poor as well even though he owns a very cheap home and an old car.

We are trying to do this without a lawyer as we can't afford one. If we can't do this then our engagement will have to end, so we are desperate for answers.

We read that he should apply for a Work Visa and hope that an employer on a special list of jobs there he could apply for will hire him and then he will have the points needed (minimum) to come to Canada to work and get residency.

But then why do so many people have such a hard time? We have read all the information on the government sites but it seems there is so much more to it than what is said. His English is very well spoken even though he doesn't know any French. We are both English as a first language.

Any help, suggestions, contacts of people who have been through this, links, ANYTHING, is extremely appreciated!

Thanks.

Tsveta
02-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi, for an American is shouldn’t be difficult to find a job in Canada and get a work permit. You just have to contact employers or recruiters, depending on your field. The best thing to do is to call Citizenship and Immigration Canada since you cannot consult a lawyer.
Also take a look at the links bellow for more info:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-nopermit.asp
Call this number from Canada only: 1 888 242‑2100 and they will be able to explain what have to be done and how to get your documents in order.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp

Skilled worker is different that work permit. Skilled worker visa is for immigration to Canada and you have to qualify to get one; the work permit can be obtained by anybody who can get a job offer from Canadian employer.

nomlah
02-22-2008, 08:57 PM
I am trying to find information out for my American fiance. He lives in PA and works on motorcycles and cars. I can't move to the States or sponsor him for the same reason which is that I am disabled (been on dialysis for over 6 years, just had a kidney transplant, but is not completely working).

I have no money as I lost everything when I got sick and couldn't work my old job anymore.

My fiance is quite poor as well even though he owns a very cheap home and an old car.

We are trying to do this without a lawyer as we can't afford one. If we can't do this then our engagement will have to end, so we are desperate for answers.

We read that he should apply for a Work Visa and hope that an employer on a special list of jobs there he could apply for will hire him and then he will have the points needed (minimum) to come to Canada to work and get residency.

But then why do so many people have such a hard time? We have read all the information on the government sites but it seems there is so much more to it than what is said. His English is very well spoken even though he doesn't know any French. We are both English as a first language.

Any help, suggestions, contacts of people who have been through this, links, ANYTHING, is extremely appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi,
Use your contacts / references in Canada and get a job. With job offer work permit should not be a problem. As far as immigration of skilled worker is concerned, there are some health requirements also.

Good Luck,