Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Why should I hire you?

workaholic
04-23-2006, 04:47 PM
The questions I usually have a problem with are the "Why should I hire you?" kind. I have a hard time promoting myself but in this day and age, it's like you have to be a used car salesman and really sell yourself to a potential employer. What do you usually answer to these type of questions?

lookingforjob
04-24-2006, 10:17 AM
There are 2 types of answers you can give. One of them is generic, something like "I'm hard-working...", "I can work without supervision...", "I'm a team player..." etc. The other type will be something specific to the position you are being interviewed for.

jojoba
04-25-2006, 09:08 AM
The questions I usually have a problem with are the "Why should I hire you?" kind. I have a hard time promoting myself but in this day and age, it's like you have to be a used car salesman and really sell yourself to a potential employer. What do you usually answer to these type of questions?

Always a tough question :rolleyes:
Lookingfor job got it right and I may add "Because I have a lot of experience and skills and I learn quickly"

aladin42
04-26-2006, 09:31 AM

This question is not asked very often but if they do try to emphasize your skills that will be particularly helpful in the position you are applying for. If it is a web designer position for example try some thing like - “I have a very good feel for the colors and I use Flash with ease, I’ve done projects for..... and as you can see in my portfolio....”
You have to learn to “sell” your skills and abilities.

Jim
04-28-2006, 10:46 AM
One of the most important things you have to learn is to "advertise "yourself. You have to be confident in your abilities and to make an impression that you can deal with difficult situations. Give an example from your last positions, how you dealt with some problems in the past. If you sound unsure of what to do, they may ask you this question and you'll be in the mess.

lookingforjob
04-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Even if you are not well prepared for an interview you should appear confident and your behaviour should instil trust in the employer. Hiring is a risky process and the employers go with the candidate the least likely to fail :) (the candidate that looks like the lowest risk compared to the rest).

SDuncan
05-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Even if you are not well prepared for an interview you should appear confident and your behaviour should instil trust in the employer. Hiring is a risky process and the employers go with the candidate the least likely to fail :) (the candidate that looks like the lowest risk compared to the rest).

They may not even ask you that question if you are well prepared, look calm and professional. "Why should I hire you?" is often asked if they are not really sure you can do the job.

whitey
05-04-2006, 03:16 AM
I really dislike that question!
I often get really stuck and tonge tied, its hard to answer.

They can tell if you're not being honest though, so I generally tell them I just have a passion for the work involved. Works for me :)

workaholic
05-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Great responses! Thank you all so much. Definitely something to think about.