Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : IT jobs in Toronto

Rómulo
04-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Greetings everybody!

I'm an IT professional from Ecuador with 10+ years of experience in my field. I have a bachelor's in Computer Science obtained in the US.
I received my Canadian permanent residence visa last month and I'm preparing myself for this big adventure. I'm married and have a 10 year old daughter. We all have to land in Toronto before August 16th. There is one thing that frets me: I'm 45 years old and wonder if that's going to be an obstacle in my job search:confused: . I was told to start my job search as soon as I arrive because if I try to do it remotely beforehand, I won't be taken into account. Any comments?

lookingforjob
04-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi Romulo,

The IT job market is very good at the moment and there are lots of IT jobs on the market especially in Toronto. You can start the search remotely, but it will be much easier when you are in Toronto, because you'll be available for face to face interviews with recruiters and employers.

Are you looking for permanent or contract jobs? What are your skills and what technologies do you have experience with?

Rómulo
04-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Hi lookingforjob,

Thanks for your positive feedback. I'd like to get a permanent position.
During my career I have worked in the areas of technical support in UNIX
and databases (6 years), client/server development (4 years) and computer
telephony integration (4 years). My most current skills include SQL Server 2000, Visual Basic 6 and Crystal Reports XI. Right now I'm migrating an
application developed in VB6, Crystal 8.5 and SQL Server 2000 into Visual
Basic .NET, Crystal XI and SQL Server 2005. By the way, I'm a native speaker of Spanish.

Regards,
:)

lookingforjob
04-24-2006, 10:08 PM
I don't think it will be hard for you to find a decent job with your experience. I see lots of .NET positions with SQL Server lately and if you emphasize these skills in your resume you'll get better chances to find something good. Do not believe the BS that most of the recruiters will tell you about the lack of Canadian experience, etc. The fact that you don't have Canadian experience is completely irrelevant for IT professionals in my opinion, and it shouldn't affect your chances to find job or your salary.

Good luck and keep us posted how it goes!

jojoba
04-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Hi lookingforjob,

Thanks for your positive feedback. I'd like to get a permanent position.
During my career I have worked in the areas of technical support in UNIX
and databases (6 years), client/server development (4 years) and computer
telephony integration (4 years). My most current skills include SQL Server 2000, Visual Basic 6 and Crystal Reports XI. Right now I'm migrating an
application developed in VB6, Crystal 8.5 and SQL Server 2000 into Visual
Basic .NET, Crystal XI and SQL Server 2005. By the way, I'm a native speaker of Spanish.

Regards,
:)

You have it all, the skills, experience and education. Nothing to worry about. When you arrive, publish your online resume and update it every day and start calling the recruiters and leaving messages. This will give you a head start. :)

jilal
10-02-2007, 12:36 PM
I am coming in canada hopefully in the begnig of 2008 i am migrating from aisia . I did 2 year graduation with computer sciences and working in an ISP last year. I have much experties in linux and microsft based networking tools.
i.e squid isa send mail DNS servers. simply i can configure these services in linux . ans some in microsft windows.
i want to know i have some scope in this field. with this education background.
:confused: