Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Catching Typos

Luke333
04-26-2006, 11:27 AM
From my employment blog:

No matter how much time a person spends on his or her resume, a single typo could spoil that person's chances of getting an interview. Typos are definitely one of the deadly sins of resume writing.

Examples of typos? [Tricks for Catching Pesky Typos on Your Resume, SHNS]
"OBJECTIVE: To work in the filed that I eventually want to be in."
"SKILLS: Meet and greet clients. Take massages."
Running spell-check programs is not good enough. Here are some good tricks to eradicate typos from your resume:

Read slowly through your resume.
Let your resume rest and come back on it later with a fresher look.
Proofread your resume more than once.
Read your sentences backward (yes, that's right! to force you to pay attention).
Ask a friend or family member to proofread for you.
Any combination of two or three of the above tricks should suffice.

lookingforjob
04-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Excellent post Luke! These are common mispellings, very hard to catch simply because you type different word with the same letters in it and the spellchecker can't help you here.

Luke333
04-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks, greatly appreciated.

Tsveta
04-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Read slowly through your resume.
Let your resume rest and come back on it later with a fresher look.
Proofread your resume more than once.
Read your sentences backward (yes, that's right! to force you to pay attention).
Ask a friend or family member to proofread for you.
Any combination of two or three of the above tricks should suffice.

Very good tips there Luke!
Thanks

:)

Jim
04-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Good one Luke.

The grammar and the spelling are the most important when writing a Resume. Even they can see it is a typo, it shouldn't be there.

workaholic
04-30-2006, 10:22 PM
That's good advice. I have trouble with homonyms, words that sound the same but are spelled differently. I find that setting aside a piece of written work for a few days and coming back to helps a lot.

SDuncan
05-03-2006, 08:30 AM
That's good advice. I have trouble with homonyms, words that sound the same but are spelled differently. I find that setting aside a piece of written work for a few days and coming back to helps a lot.

That's my problem too. What I usually do, I give any written text to my wife to proofread it.

laxot
05-29-2006, 08:14 AM
I agree completely! Working in HR I can attest to the damage that typos, poor grammar, spelling mistakes and poor communication, does to your chances of landing that killer job.

The tips provided by Luke are great and will certainly improve your resume and help to eliminate typos. If you know someone with strong writing skills then it pays to enlist them to assist you in your efforts.

If you don't know anyone with strong writing skills then check out forums like this and you'll no doubt find people who can help you out and for free! :)

Otherwise you can try one of the many editing services available online, good one's are worth their weight in gold! I've used a few.

If you can't find a good one and you're desperate then email me: info@laxot.com and I can try and help or point you in the right direction.

Good luck :)

goras
07-24-2006, 04:29 PM
from my experience, spelling mistakes will not cost you as much as poor grammar. To avoid poor grammar you must do:

1. Ask a friend AND family member to proofread for you.
2. Proofread your resume more than once - although this is not important as the first point is!

aladin42
07-25-2006, 08:39 AM
If you can't find a good one and you're desperate then email me: info@laxot.com and I can try and help or point you in the right direction.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the advice and the help offered!