Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Threatend to be fired 2 days after bieng wrriten up?

Tyco
02-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey guys,

Great forum can someone help with this question.

They wrote me up on Monday for being late then on Wednesday at the end of my shift she calls me into the office and says they are going to fire me so she wants to give me the chance to resign.

It was my first write up I have been with them for over 3 months are they allowed to do that if so which options did I have at that point. I work for a big electronics retail store.

And is there an gov agency I can call to talk about this stuff.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tsveta
02-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I've seen this many times. Most of the people accept to resign and get compensation. If you are in Ontario check out the Employment Standards page: http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/factsheets/fs_faq.html

MacKenm
04-15-2008, 09:26 PM
If you haven't been there that long (even if it's over three months) you likely wouldn't get much money from them (if any). You could call the Employment Standards hotline, but they'll likely you tell you it sounds like a case of constructive dismissal. You could try to talk to your boss about it again. Being late once and then being terminated is excessive - if that is there stance and they do that with everyone that is late once, then they have a better leg to stand on because that's their practice, but if they have other people that have been late more than once that didn't get fired, it puts things more in your favour. How long you've been there really effects things. Not sure if any of this has helped. I'd still call the ESA hotline - you can find the number on the internet or the phone book. They'd be able to advise you best.