Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Experienced Mechanical Technologist

Lonzie
02-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Greetings Folks,

As a Mechanical Technologist with over twenty years of expereince I am struggling trying to obtain suitable employment. My background includes a solid blend of Process Engineering and Maintenance Management. I have also logged some time overseas managing machine installations in places like Baghdad, very hot, very scary.

My geographic search area is from the Niagara Region to Toronto, and I will also look at position in the Kitchener/Waterloo area.

I still find it hard to believe that an expereinced technical professional can have difficulty locating a job in Ontario's heartland. But I am positive that something will shake loose.

lazyiesat
02-28-2008, 12:50 PM
What did you do to find job?

Maybe some of us here can analyze your mistakes.

Lonzie
02-28-2008, 02:35 PM
So far I have conducted the usual search that everyone engages in, online job boards, newspapers etc. I have also contacted about ten recruiters, some bad, some good.

It is my opinion that online job boards are useless. I have sent out 65 replies to jobs that I am perfectly qualified for and got no reply at all. I have spoken with HR professionals that tell me when they post an add they typically get 1000 responses, 80% of which are not even remotely qualified. I have had my resume professionally written so I don't think that is the issue.

I even signed up for the JobGYm which is a program run by the Unemployment office in the Niagara Region. They are more geared towards labourers and folks that do not know how to write a resume, not very helpful for professionals. They boast an 80% success rate, but again it is for people that did not even know the first step, so it is low hanging fruit for them.
Currently, I am networking which I think is overrated. I am also cruising the net going to employer's websites and checking out the career section, this seems to be the best option so far. The only hurdle is getting a list of employers within my search area. I would love to get my hands on a Scott's Directory of Ontario Manufacturers. Everytime I go to the local library the book is missing from the shelf and they can't seem to locate it.

I am thinking of finding a coven of devil worshippers to help me out. Hey it worked in Rosemary's Baby. :D

Tsveta
02-29-2008, 03:14 PM
The only hurdle is getting a list of employers within my search area. I would love to get my hands on a Scott's Directory of Ontario Manufacturers. Everytime I go to the local library the book is missing from the shelf and they can't seem to locate it.

Hi, why don't you place a "hold" on that book and then when it is in your local branch, they will call you to go and pick it up?

Lonzie
02-29-2008, 06:31 PM
They consider it a reference book, so it doesn't leave the library, so you can't put a hold on it. Someone is pulling it off the shelf and leaving it laying on a table somewhere.
My best bet is to get there first thing in the morning and grab it. Then hide it in the tax law section no one will look for it there.:D

contractor
03-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Have you considered buying the book? Well if it so valuable for your job search maybe this is the best option....

RSTech
03-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi Lonzie,

Check with the Chamber of Commerce for your city. Just prior to graduating years ago as an Electrical Technologist I got a book which listed all the employers in the Windsor Essex and surrounding area. I sent my resume to every company with over 150 employees, which at the time amounted to 152 resumes! Within four weeks my phone was ringing off the hook. I took a number of interviews and in the end had my pick of jobs. By the way, none of these jobs were being advertised.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Lonzie
03-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks Rob. I have been sending out a ton of resumes, mostly to advertised jobs which match my background. I have sent out about 10 unsolicited resumes to local employers so far nothing.

I have a question since our professions are similar. Any Technologist with a little experience can qualify for a variety of positions. How do you word the cover letter when sending out the unsolicited resumes?

I would be willing to accept a role as a Manufacturing Engineer or a Management postion overseeing technical people. How do you target this broad range in the letter? I have been told by HR professionals not to leave it wide open with the hope that the employer figures out how you can fit into their organization, you need to give them a sales pitch of where you fit in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

RSTech
03-13-2008, 08:56 AM
I used to put something like this:

The purpose of this letter is to introduce myself and to apply for a technical position with your company. I am a Certified Engineering Technologist and a Licensed Industrial Electrician. I am looking for a management position that will take advantage of my engineering background.

Of course your cover letter will differ but hopefully this gives you a couple of tips. I think you can be broad in your cover letter but you need to somewhat narrow it down. Are you looking for a management position, hands-on worker, or other?

P.S.
I don't agree with the general consensus that you should keep your resume short (1 page). In my opinion if you have two or three pages worth of skills and education to inform the potential employer about, then put it down. Some won't like it, some will. My resume is always 4 pages long. That said, don't fill it with needless information; only things that really matter.

Lonzie
03-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks Rob. I picked up the Business Directory and have started sending out resumes. Unfortunately I live in the Niagara Region so the number of potential employers is limited. Once I have completed this area I am going to drive to Hamilton and get a directory for that region.

RSTech
03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Best of luck to you. I know the manufacturing industry hasn't been doing well in Ontario; I've seen it myself with my automotive customers. What I have noticed is an increase in work in the aerospace industry. You may want to look at companies such as Goodrich Landing Gear, Pratt & Whitney, or other aerospace companies. Of couse energy and resources are booming but you need to go to Western or Eastern Canada for a lot of those jobs.