Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Seeking blindly (Looking for work as US citizen).

shortstop4313
03-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Hello, I've been wandering blind with only the online info to go on and I was hoping that someone on here could provide some guidance to someone who's honestly a bit lost.

I'm an barely over 30 would-be IT professional with over 15 years of IT experience. I just recently returned to University and finished off my Bachelor's Degree in Business Information systems. I also live in Detroit where I can visit the Canadian Consulate easily to obtain paperwork for a work visa. Finally, the main reason I am looking to Immigrate into Canada is the fact that I'm seeing a wonderful woman and have been for the last 4 years.

So right now my current plan is to apply for jobs until I get a positive response, then get a work visa to move in locally. Then once I have that work visa, use that position to apply for permanent residency as a skilled worker.

According to the metrics for measuring suitability to immigrate to Canada as a Skilled worker, I have 72 of 100 points, 5 over the required number, and that's without having a job offer. With the job offer, I'd have 77. However, I don't have the required amount in savings to immigrate without having a job in Canada.

On the job application front, things have not been proceeding so well. I have posted nearly 250 applications without a single response back or inquiry other than automated denials weeks later. Despite mentioning in the cover letter that due to NAFTA and other laws, any position I am qualified for does not need a work impact study and generally are expedited, I still have not received a inquiry in return.

So, I was wondering, is how I am proceeding pretty much correct for what am I am trying to do? As stated above, I'm looking for a way to move permanently into Canada.

Additionally, I am currently repaying school loans and credit card damage incurred during my sprint towards my degree this last year, so saving 10k to immigrate as a skilled worker without a job and getting a full on immigration attorney are both impossible.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Tsveta
03-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi,

A lot of people have been complaining about difficulties to find a job remotely. Well Detroit is not that far and I would suggest you to start calling recruiting agencies (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=1&sp=1)
Talk to recruiters and send them your resume after you spoke with them. This is the best way to get them to notice you.

shortstop4313
03-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi,

A lot of people have been complaining about difficulties to find a job remotely. Well Detroit is not that far and I would suggest you to start calling recruiting agencies (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=1&sp=1)
Talk to recruiters and send them your resume after you spoke with them. This is the best way to get them to notice you.

Thank you for the response and list of placement agencies. You suggest just calling their recruiting department and asking what exactly? I've never worked with such an agency?

Thanks for the list though I'm gonna get a start on this!

shortstop4313
03-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi,

A lot of people have been complaining about difficulties to find a job remotely. Well Detroit is not that far and I would suggest you to start calling recruiting agencies.

Thanks for the help!

So basically, I should search for a phone number mentioned on these sites for calling recruiters and talking with them straight up? All pretty self-explanatory?

Tsveta
03-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Thank you for the response and list of placement agencies. You suggest just calling their recruiting department and asking what exactly? I've never worked with such an agency?

Thanks for the list though I'm gonna get a start on this!

You have to talk to recruiters to find a job. Sending emails only will get you nowhere. Call the agencies and ask to talk to recruiters in your field. If you get voice mail, leave a short message saying what job kind of job you are looking for, what are your skills and degree. Follow up the next day and send email. Try to get personal email not a generic one.
These job articles (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=26)may help you in your job search.