Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Resume

ramaly
04-29-2006, 08:52 PM
I’ve never worked for big companies and my resume is not impressive. I have experience and University degree but I can’t find a job easy and not in a big company. I don’t know how to escape from this vicious circle. Any advice will be appreciated.

Tsveta
04-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Hi ramaly,

Are you concerned that your resume is not written well enough?
Why do you want to work for a big company? Most of the people don't work for big companies and they have good salaries too.

lookingforjob
04-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Are you looking for a permanent or a contract position? If you are looking for a contract then most of the good contract jobs are through recruiters...

workaholic
04-30-2006, 10:18 PM
It really isn't enough to just submit your resume and wait. Big companies receive thousands of applications and it is all too easy for yours to get lost in the shuffle. First make sure your resume is in tip top form. Maybe have it rewritten by a resume writer. Then maybe try to talk to the hiring person directly and try to schedule an interview.

There is nothing wrong with starting at a smaller company and then working your way up to the big boys. While you are working with a smaller company try to network with people who work at the company(ies) you want to work for.

SDuncan
05-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Try to work as a volunteer in a company of your choice. This might help. It’s a good way to get the experience for your resume.

lookingforjob
05-01-2006, 01:40 PM
I would advise against working as a volunteer. I personally wouldn't hire somebody who has volunteer position in his resume, simply because I would think that she/he was unable to find a paid job.

ramaly
05-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. I appreciate it. I will start calling the employers and the recruiters and be more persistent in my attempts to find a better job.

Ladyluck
05-28-2006, 09:01 PM
I agree with starting at a smaller company just for experience. Work your way up as far as possible, then you may get into a bigger company and not have to start from the bottom there :)