Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Cottage Industry

workaholic
04-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Do you think society is moving back towards working from home? The cost of living just continues to climb. I'm starting to see quite a few companies offering the option to stay home and do work a few times a week and more people seem to be looking for jobs and/or opportunities that offer that.

Tsveta
05-01-2006, 08:11 AM
I can see that coming with the rising cost of the fuel...Not very soon though, maybe in the next 10 years. All this commuting is coming to an end. Who knows maybe most of us will work from home. But then what will happen with all the office buildings?

lookingforjob
05-01-2006, 01:45 PM
It's not only the cost of fuel, all energy prices and commodities will skyrocket in the near future. Cheap energy is gone now. Unfortunately we are entering a new are of hyperinflation. Here is Canada it's not that bad, but look at US, with their huge housing bubble and trade deficit.

I think more people will work from home, as commuting gets more and more expensive.

Vera
05-02-2006, 09:09 AM
I think more people will work from home, as commuting gets more and more expensive.

What about the people with unconventional jobs?
I am a swimming instructor and obviously I can't work from home.....

SDuncan
05-03-2006, 08:11 AM

It depends in what industry you work in. If you are a factory worker, what are you gonna do, move close to your factory? The government should think more about alternative energy resources.

whitey
05-04-2006, 03:00 AM
Yes!
Its definitely moving towards that direction.

With rising fuel prices, increased terrorist threats in big cities and wanting to spend time with family, people would love to work at home and i think more people are taking the plunge.

workaholic
05-04-2006, 04:08 PM

Well you could if you built a huge swimming pool in your backyard (lol) :p

lookingforjob: It's not only the cost of fuel, all energy prices and commodities will skyrocket in the near future. Cheap energy is gone now. Unfortunately we are entering a new are of hyperinflation. Here is Canada it's not that bad, but look at US, with their huge housing bubble and trade deficit.

Excellent post! People don't like to carpool with each other but I don't think people will have much of a choice. In the future, I think people who work in unconventional jobs may have to move closer to their jobs.

A lot of jobs have the potential to be stay at home work. Like tech (computers etc), sales, telephone customer service. As for the office buildings, I don't think it would take too much work to convert them into housing :confused: