PDA

View Full Version : Bully bosses

whitey
05-04-2006, 03:18 AM
Have you ever had a bully boss?
If so, what did you do about it?

newincanada
05-04-2006, 08:42 AM
I've had a bully boss once. I was lucky because I wasn't reporting directly to him. He was always mad, no matter what and he were yelling at everybody for no reason. Everybody hated him of course but what can you do? I mean you can't tell him, "Stop yelling at me, it is very stressful".

lookingforjob
05-08-2006, 12:29 PM
I've had a bully boss once. I was lucky because I wasn't reporting directly to him. He was always mad, no matter what and he were yelling at everybody for no reason. Everybody hated him of course but what can you do? I mean you can't tell him, "Stop yelling at me, it is very stressful".

You can always quit, if it is that bad. Most people tend to forget that their job is just a job and not their life.

lana
05-09-2006, 08:36 AM
You can always quit, if it is that bad. Most people tend to forget that their job is just a job and not their life.

I can not agree more! Just quit it!

Tim
05-09-2006, 08:56 PM
I can not agree more! Just quit it!

It is life for some people though, especially if you have a mortgage and kids, you can not just quit and lose your income like that.
Its not that easy.

lookingforjob
05-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Yes, for the most people is not easy but that's because they are up to the neck in debt. It's their own fault - they borrow and spend like crazy (something they cannot really afford) and after that they complain. We already have rampant inflation but most people don't know that. The majority still thinks that the low interest rates are here to stay. Well, they are in for a big surprise :)

workaholic
05-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Not all bully bosses yell and scream. I had a bully for a boss that was much more manipulative and devious. He would say one thing to my face and then something else behind my back. He was two faced and hypocritical and I could not wait to get out of there.

I was able to do so because it was a customer service job and those are a time a dozen but some people are not so lucky. Some people are stuck in their positions because the industry they work in is depressed and there are no other comparable positions open. There are many other reasons a person would not be able to leave and not all of them have to do with money and debt.

lookingforjob
05-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Not all bully bosses yell and scream. I had a bully for a boss that was much more manipulative and devious. He would say one thing to my face and then something else behind my back. He was two faced and hypocritical and I could not wait to get out of there.

I was able to do so because it was a customer service job and those are a time a dozen but some people are not so lucky. Some people are stuck in their positions because the industry they work in is depressed and there are no other comparable positions open. There are many other reasons a person would not be able to leave and not all of them have to do with money and debt.

I'm not saying that there aren't other reasons to be stuck with a job, but believe me most of the time it boils down to this - lack of savings frequently accompanied by different level of debt.

I think the second biggest reason is people's inertia - they just prefer to keep the things they way they are even if not satisfied.

lowlight22
05-23-2006, 09:51 PM
yes, people are afraid of change especially if they have commitments to stick to.

I still would not stay in a job if I am desperately unhappy, it really effects your whole life.
And you get that dreaded Monday morning feeling every week.
________
glass on glass bong (http://glassbongs.org)

mattpiloto
11-30-2006, 08:49 AM
I had such a boss twice. Once quite awhile ago, just out of High School. I stayed there for about 2 days and that was enough. Another time was more recently. My wife and I got a job as resident managers in an apartment building. They seriously called at LEAST once a day, telling us how we need to rent out the vacant units (another problem entirely - overpriced and badly in need of repair). We tried to stick it out, but 4 months was enough. Just not worth it IMO. It's not always as easy as just picking up and leaving, but it's also not like there aren't other jobs out there.

Tsveta
11-30-2006, 09:03 AM
I hear that this is really hard job. You deal with all sorts of complaints and problems and you are on call 24/7. How much do you get paid for that job and do you live for free in the building?

I had such a boss twice. Once quite awhile ago, just out of High School. I stayed there for about 2 days and that was enough. Another time was more recently. My wife and I got a job as resident managers in an apartment building. They seriously called at LEAST once a day, telling us how we need to rent out the vacant units (another problem entirely - overpriced and badly in need of repair). We tried to stick it out, but 4 months was enough. Just not worth it IMO. It's not always as easy as just picking up and leaving, but it's also not like there aren't other jobs out there.

Ascended
12-05-2006, 07:39 AM
not really a bully boss, but a woman who thought she was all that and was quite frankly nothing .. set her in her place, not being sexist.. just i've only had 2 bosses, and this one was what one could classify as a bully, or possessiing characteristics that suggest a bully.