Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : How important are credentials/education?

thenewgirl
04-18-2008, 01:53 AM
I have been working in administrative support now for almost 7 years after receiving a certificate in Business Software Systems and Administration. The full-time daytime hours are really beginning to exhaust me, and I am thinking about going into business for myself so that I can have the opportunity of structuring my own schedule.

I am very organized and self-motivated and I don't have a problem with working long hours; however, I would like the opportunity to choose when those hours are instead of being stuck in a 9-5 shift.

I am seriously contemplating becoming self-employed as a professional writer. I understand there is a market for grant writing for non-profit organizations and also for writing manuals for software companies. Given my work history being employed with non-profits and having to write several instruction manuals in my previous jobs, I think that this is work that I would do well and also enjoy doing.

My only doubt about this venture is not whether I am capable of doing the work, but whether others will deem me capable of such work because of my lack of education. Other than my Business Certificate, I do not have any additional post-secondary education and have otherwise been self-taught.

I read extensively, I have great research skills, I learn quickly and I'm active in my community, and I believe that I have the skills necessary to be successful. Honestly though, I can't really judge if many of my potential clients will seek out another writer because I don't have a degree or formal credentials in professional writing. I'm not in a position to return to school to finish a degree at this point either, but I know I really need to make a career change soon.

If anyone can give me their opinion on how much of an obstacle this might prove to be or share their experiences, I would really appreciate it.

Tsveta
04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I really cannot say if this will be an obstacle or not. Experience is also important for this kind of job and you obviously have one. If you are motivated try to go on your own and if it doesn't work out then go back to school.

RSTech
05-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I started my own business about 4 years ago and I have never been asked about my credentials or education. In my experience if you can offer a service that someone needs and do it well then you should make out alright.

Is there a way for you to test your market before jumping into self-employment? For example, can you land a contract before taking the plunge?

Good luck!

igorwruppi
05-30-2009, 05:55 AM
Who asks a writer for credentials if the material is good? ;)

move5
07-15-2009, 11:28 AM
I have been working in administrative support now for almost 7 years after receiving a certificate in Business Software Systems and Administration. The full-time daytime hours are really beginning to exhaust me, and I am thinking about going into business for myself so that I can have the opportunity of structuring my own schedule.

I am very organized and self-motivated and I don't have a problem with working long hours; however, I would like the opportunity to choose when those hours are instead of being stuck in a 9-5 shift.

I am seriously contemplating becoming self-employed as a professional writer. I understand there is a market for grant writing for non-profit organizations and also for writing manuals for software companies. Given my work history being employed with non-profits and having to write several instruction manuals in my previous jobs, I think that this is work that I would do well and also enjoy doing.

My only doubt about this venture is not whether I am capable of doing the work, but whether others will deem me capable of such work because of my lack of education. Other than my Business Certificate, I do not have any additional post-secondary education and have otherwise been self-taught.

I read extensively, I have great research skills, I learn quickly and I'm active in my community, and I believe that I have the skills necessary to be successful. Honestly though, I can't really judge if many of my potential clients will seek out another writer because I don't have a degree or formal credentials in professional writing. I'm not in a position to return to school to finish a degree at this point either, but I know I really need to make a career change soon.

If anyone can give me their opinion on how much of an obstacle this might prove to be or share their experiences, I would really appreciate it.

i had one interview for a technical writer job.
I got the interview because I wrote documentation for open-source software.
They said the only thing standing in my way was lack of a certificate.
That said, I think it depends on the employer if a credential is important.

hockey
09-11-2009, 01:46 PM
In certain situations, coming short in a BA could be a serious hurdle, since there are a lot of jobs that necessitate specific skills or critical, analytical talents that are effectively refined during college. However, in certain fields like sales, college degrees are not really the prioritized basis because a lot of recruiters are leaning more towards the applicant's sales record instead of their degree in business. In my experience, I've witnessed some corporate recruiters consider that the more experience the applicant has in a certain profession, the lesser the importance of his degree becomes.

joberiffic
09-21-2009, 10:12 AM
If you are planning to start your own business then you must be aware
and be prepared for there are lots of factors to consider, well being
organized and self motivated can help a lot. Don't worry about education for
you can surely learn things along the way