Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : travelers checks or cash?

jason
05-19-2006, 10:03 AM
I will be coming soon to Canada as an independent immigrant. What is the best way to carry the funds need to enter Canada, in cash or travelers checks and in US or CAD dollars? What is your experience?

Ronin
05-21-2006, 06:22 PM
How much cash are you carrying?
Its not advised to carry large amounts. Cant you transfer them to a new bank account?

Tsveta
05-22-2006, 12:22 PM
I would get travelers cheques in $ CAD. They are excepted by the immigrations' and you have nothing to worry about. I'm not sure you can open a bank account in Canada without you being actually here.

lookingforjob
05-23-2006, 11:58 AM
No matter what the amount, get travelers cheques in $ CAD. It's much safer than cash, and the commissions are relatively low.

bongi
05-30-2006, 06:26 PM
I will be coming soon to Canada as an independent immigrant. What is the best way to carry the funds need to enter Canada, in cash or travelers checks and in US or CAD dollars? What is your experience?

You can open an account with any canadian bank and put your money there. Then just show them your statement or a memo from the bank.

Olga
05-31-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm coming to Toronto in the middle of the summer. I have a bank account in a major Europen bank. Is a statement from them going to work or I have to bring all the cash with me?

Tsveta
06-03-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm coming to Toronto in the middle of the summer. I have a bank account in a major Europen bank. Is a statement from them going to work or I have to bring all the cash with me?

Better check with the embassy. I know in the past that the immigrations' accepted only cash, travel cheques and statements from Canadian banks. Maybe it is different now.

newbie2006
06-27-2006, 10:51 AM
How about certified cheque from the USA?

Tsveta
06-27-2006, 02:04 PM
How about certified cheque from the USA?

Visit CIC site for more info: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/qual-4.html
You can bring bankers’ drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques, money orders, cash, stocks, bonds.

Toni
06-28-2006, 08:07 AM
I came to Canada bringing bankers’ draft. I had no problem with the immigrations'