Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Drivers License

jason
05-24-2006, 08:44 AM
I’ve heard from a friend that to get a drivers license in Canada is very expensive and you need to go to several tests to get it. Is it true and how much will that cost me? I have 10 years of driving experience but I guess that doesn’t count there…

Tsveta
05-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Here are the license fees that you have to pay: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/Fee.aspx

To be fully licensed you need to have driver license class G. First you need to pass written test for G1, then road test for G2 license and there is second road test after which you will be fully licensed and will hold a class G. Basically you have 1 written test and 2 road tests. It is not difficult to get one but in Toronto the examiners tend to be very picky and can fail you for a very minor mistake. I would suggest you to go and take the exam outside the GTA. Note that this is only in Ontario. Every province has different licensing and different fees.

bongi
05-26-2006, 11:45 AM
I would suggest you to go to a driving school even if you can drive. This way you can lower you insurance once you get a certificate from them. :cool:

jason
06-03-2006, 01:17 PM
I would suggest you to go to a driving school even if you can drive. This way you can lower you insurance once you get a certificate from them. :cool:

thanks for the tip bongi. i'll keep that in mind.
I see that the system is a little complicated. Why do you need 2 driving tests and what is the difference between them?

Tsveta
06-05-2006, 08:57 PM
For the G2 driving test you will drive only on streets with maximum speed limit60/70 km/h. With that licence you can drive everywhere but you can not drink. With the G licence you will be asked to drive on a motorway with speed limit 90/100 km/h.

crunchie
07-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Hi,
Do you have to be living in the Country for a while before you can apply for the test ? I have a full Irish Driving licence with nearly 3 years. Do you know how long after applying for the test, do you have to wait long?
:)

Tsveta
07-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi,
Do you have to be living in the Country for a while before you can apply for the test ? I have a full Irish Driving licence with nearly 3 years. Do you know how long after applying for the test, do you have to wait long?
:)

You can do the test right away (G1 - written test). Just go to your local branch of the ministry. For the road test you have to book an exam but sometimes the first available date can be in 3-6 months (for Toronto) depending on where you live. If you live in Toronto I would suggest booking a test in some small town close to you. You can book an exam over the phone. The ministry has it on their web site.