Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : references

Simon
05-25-2006, 02:48 PM
How often do the employers call you references? How many contacts do you list if needed?

Bronco
05-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Rarely!
I think they hardly ever call mine. I know my references and they would tell me if someone called.

They assume everything is ok most of the time.

Tsveta
05-26-2006, 11:19 AM
It depends of the company. Most of the time they won't call but if somebody asks for references better call them first so they don't get caught off guard.

Olga
05-31-2006, 12:33 PM
My References are not in Canada but in Europe. I will try to find my first job in Canada. Is this gonna be a problem?

Tsveta
06-01-2006, 08:48 AM
My References are not in Canada but in Europe. I will try to find my first job in Canada. Is this gonna be a problem?

It doesn’t matter. It is important to let your references know that someone will call them though.

lookingforjob
06-02-2006, 09:33 AM
In my experience they almost never call. Nevertheless make sure you have a list with references prepared in case a recruiter or employer asks for it. Even if they ask you for references chances are they'll never call.

Simon
06-12-2006, 08:46 AM
OK I'll list 2 or 3 references. this is more than enough I think. Is it necessary one of them to be from my last job? I don't think I can get any references from there?
:confused:

lowlight22
06-13-2006, 09:15 PM
OK I'll list 2 or 3 references. this is more than enough I think. Is it necessary one of them to be from my last job? I don't think I can get any references from there?
:confused:

They will prefer someone to be from your last job, how long were you at the last job for?
I find most questions are aimed at the last job you did and as such thats the person they would most want to call.

jason
06-14-2006, 08:27 AM

This is bothering me too. I am from Poland. Did you have any luck with the job search?

Simon
06-15-2006, 02:57 PM
They will prefer someone to be from your last job, how long were you at the last job for?
I find most questions are aimed at the last job you did and as such thats the person they would most want to call.

I've been 2 ½ years there. I won’t be able to get a reference from my manager but from a colleague. I guess that will be alright.

whitey
06-15-2006, 08:23 PM
I've been 2 ½ years there. I won’t be able to get a reference from my manager but from a colleague. I guess that will be alright.

Yes, anyone there will be fine, as long as they had some dealings with you when you were there.
Obviously the recruiter just have to trust the reference, I know alot of people who just put their friends on the reference list

lana
06-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Yes, anyone there will be fine, as long as they had some dealings with you when you were there.
Obviously the recruiter just have to trust the reference, I know alot of people who just put their friends on the reference list

Some people do that. Your friend should be very convincing though

;)

Ascended
11-19-2006, 07:52 PM
certain employers that think u are shady will fone references, for others it's standard policy, and others will just hire you on the spot if you are just THAT GOOD
:D

lookingforjob
11-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Almost all recruiters and employers ask for references, but they rarely call them.

almo81
11-27-2006, 01:37 AM
References are a useful tool for an employer: It allows verification of the Resume. I ALWAYS call references.

Often, A reference will tell you something unexpected: For intance: a minor Character flaw ("he gets angry"), or that the resume is a bit "inflated". Example "He wasn't THE lead person on the team the entire time: just the last 6 months).

Many employers will rule out a candidate who's story is not consistent with his references: For this reason it is important that you let your references know that you're using them for reference, and what they'll say about you. If necessary, Interview your reference: Ask him what he'll say, and throw some hard questions (what are his(yours, actually) weaknesses? etc)

Ascended
11-27-2006, 05:44 PM
depending on if they like u immediately or not they will call ur references, also if they are desperate and if you are legit from initution they will immediately hire you, but some places references is a company policy.

kocoman
12-17-2006, 03:16 AM
So they won't ask for references if they are not serious (or already won't hire you based on interviews) or desperate. Employers are like shoppers, they won't tell the salesperson (you) whats on their mind.