Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Provincial Nomination - Saskatchewan

almo81
06-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Hello,

Been a while since I posted here. I've applied for PR under the federal skilled worker program about 3 years ago.

A strange thing happened - And I wanted the forum's opinion on the subject:

I've been offered a job (as a Computer technician) through the attorney handling. To accept the job would require me to shift to Saskatchewan provincial program (http://www.immigration.gov.sk.ca/skilled/) -but according to my attorney would speed up my application.

There are lots of strange things about this.

1. An immigration Lawyer is not an employment agency, though it makes sense that it is in his interest to help his customers land jobs since it allows faster processing of the application.

2. I've never spoken to the prospective employer, nor heard of him. - As a manager in my present position, I'd never hire someone without at least talking to him first. What kind of company would do this.

3. I'm Dramatically overqualified for the position (I have an MS in computer science and an MBA) - I'm sure the employer who saw the resume realizes I'm not going to be with him for more then the minimal required time.

It smells fishy - or maybe it's just a legal loophole my Attorney is trying to exploit on my behalf.

Opinions?

Tsveta
06-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi Almo,

It sounds a little bit suspicious that your lawyer already found you a job... He may or he may not. You have to insist on talking with this future employer first. This is what I would do, because it may turn out that you will land here and no job will be waiting for you... I really can't tell; better safe than sorry.

almo81
06-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Tsveta,

I think the Job isn't the important thing (at least to me).

I think what the Attorney is saying (not directly, which I can understand) is that the idea is to Leverage the job to gain the PR status - cutting a waiting period which I hear is over 60 months now in the federal program.

What do you think?

Almo

almo81
06-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Here's an update:

The Attorney handling the application, has explained that it WILL take additional money, but not to him, to a Canadian attorney in the province (Saskatchewan). The Attorney is a local one but he IS reputable. I don't know the Canadian lawyer.

However, He HAS guaranteed that I do not pay anything until My Passport is stamped with th VISA.

Should I go for this? My main worries are (The extra money is not the problem):

1. That I will find myself "stuck" in a relatively unattractive province, in a low paying job for an extended period of time (My profession requires proximityy to main financial hubs: In Canda this means TORONTO, VANCOUVER, OTTAWA. Regina, Saskatchewan doen't cut it.

2. That I'll find that something here is illegal - causing my PR to be revoked unexpectedly.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Almo

Tsveta
06-23-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't know Almo,
I think your suspicions may turn out to be true. How long till your interview?

almo81
06-23-2008, 09:29 PM
According to the CIC web-site. The waiting time at the Embassy is approx. 60 Months (up from 24 months 2 years ago when I first applied).

This means that under the federal program I may have to wait 3 more years - hence the motivation to exploit this loophole.