Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Behavioural Interviews

Ladyluck
05-28-2006, 09:41 PM
Ive had a few of these, they are tough!
Has anyone else had a Behavioural Interview?

A common type of job interview in the modern workplace is the behavioural interview or behavioural event interview. In this sort of interview, the interviewers tend to ask questions about general situations, with the candidate asked to describe how they did or would handle a specific problem.

A bad hiring decision nowadays can be immensely expensive for an organisation – cost of the hire, training costs, severance pay, loss of productivity, impact on morale, cost of re-hiring, etc. (Gallup international place the cost of a bad hire as being 3.2 times the individual's salary). Structured selection techniques have a better track record of identifying the soundest candidate than the old-style 'biographical' interview.

The goal of the interview is to assess the candidate's ability to respond to the sorts of situations that the job may present them with. The questions asked will therefore be based on the job description, the performance indicators, the skills/personal qualities required and the interviewer's knowledge of operating in the role.

Questioning will either be hypothetical (‘how would you deal with situation X?’) or based on historical examples from your current or previous experience (‘when situation X arose, how did you deal with it?’). Either way, the interviewer is interested in (a) the thought process used and (b) the values of the candidate and the outcome of the situation.

Tsveta
06-06-2006, 11:49 AM
A bad hiring decision nowadays can be immensely expensive for an organisation – cost of the hire, training costs, severance pay, loss of productivity, impact on morale, cost of re-hiring, etc. (Gallup international place the cost of a bad hire as being 3.2 times the individual's salary). Structured selection techniques have a better track record of identifying the soundest candidate than the old-style 'biographical' interview.

I didn't know that, never thought that it could be that much expensive.
Those types of interviews are very popular these days. I wonder how were the interviews done in the past?

Toni
08-03-2006, 10:00 AM
I didn't know that, never thought that it could be that much expensive.
Those types of interviews are very popular these days. I wonder how were the interviews done in the past?

I guess that they were going through the Resume, called your references and that's it. I'm sure it was much easier. The interviewers are getting more sophisticated. From 1000 Resumes they get only 3-4 people to the interview so they have to make sure they ask the right questions….

lookingforjob
08-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Hiring employees always have risks, so the better the interviewer the better chances for quality hire.