Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Canada...foreign education and foreign degrees?

knight-fyre
06-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Where do I go to find out if my degree is recognized by Canadian Employeers? The degree I am studying for is a Computing and IT Bachelor's degree. I intend to specialize in web services using Java. What additional certification will I need or is useful in landing a job in that field?

Also, after finishing University I intend to go on an Internship program overseas for over 1 year, possibly longer. My best wishes is to do it in Canada but I might have to do my Internship in the USA. Will this experience in the USA be recognized by Canadian employers?

The reason I ask is because I have read and heard stories on the Internet about Employers not placing any value on foreign qualifications as high as a Ph.d. This worries me because I don't want to have to spend 3 - 4 additional years acquiring the same qualification because Canadian employers only want Canadian qualifications.

Tsveta
07-01-2008, 01:39 AM
In the IT sector Canadian degree is not that important. People are not required to have any sort of Canadian degree. Recruiters frequently ask about Canadian experince though. This a tough one since you don't have any canadian job history. Again IT is the same in every country so don't worry too much about it.

Nikki
03-06-2009, 11:21 PM
You can send your credentials to Comparative Education Service, University in Toronto, in order to be evaluated. I think PhDs are usually recognized, but some of my friends encountered some problems with MSc and MA degrees.

http://www.adm.utoronto.ca/ces/

Also the World Education Service offers the preliminary canadian equivalency of your credentials for some small fee

http://www.wes.org/ca/evaluations/preliminary.asp

And yes, Canadian employees do love Canadian education and experience...

phuc vy
03-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I've heard that school fee in Canada is cheap, but university fee is very expensive though their education is good. If you can't get scholarship, you should choose another country like Australia. Do your best