Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : How to land a job after switching industry???

newbie2006
06-14-2006, 07:51 PM
My past experience in the textile industry (supervisor and management positions - overseas). After wards I completed my bachelor and the master degree in information systems in the USA. I do not have any good exp in IT, except 2 years as a lab associate, a part time position at school's computer lab and two related internships in local companies).

Any suggestion how and where do I land a job in Canada where I'm landing very soon??? I really do not mind to start as a Entry level in the IT field...But my concern also how will I compete with local and immigrated IT gurus???

newbie2006
06-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Any thoughts?????????????????

Tsveta
06-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Finding your first job in Canada is never easy. You can start looking for a job now , try monster.ca and workopolis.com. They are the best job banks. Do you have any friends and relatives in Canada? If you do, go to the same city and when you find a job and be on your own, you can choose the place you want to live. Did you decide where you want to land? Right now the job market is very good and maybe you will find a job soon.

Good luck and keep us posted

whitey
06-15-2006, 08:35 PM
if you are willing to accept the money that the "immigrant guru" people work for, you'll get the job :)
The pay is not that low i have found in all entry level IT roles, and they will often prefer your English skills over others.

newbie2006
06-15-2006, 10:37 PM
I appreciate your inputs.

I know I'm gonna land to Toronto and yes, I do have few friends. But I wonder how much they will be helpful, coz their life is so far hard for them to survive (may be). I wonder how much my own local search ability will help me to find entry level IT jobs????

I've a question. Does it matter (or is it time now) to look for entry level job in monster.ca or workpolis.ca from the USA? Do employers response to USA applicants' (specially for entry lebel positions)? I'll land by August ... it is almost 2 months from now on though.

Tsveta
06-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Toronto is a good choice. There are lots of job openings in the market right now. The recruiters and employers are very slow sometimes, so it won't hurt to start sending Resumes and emailing them. This way you'll see what the response is. In your email or on the phone say that you are in USA and will be moving to Toronto in August and send Cover letter and Resume. Do you work right now?
You can upload your resume on monster and workopolis and start looking for a job.

Your friends can help you by finding you a place to live and just show you around the city. Try to get an apartment close to the subway.

newbie2006
06-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Tsveta,

You're very kind...I appreciate.
Thank you also to share your good thoughts.