Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : What to wear for an interview?

Vera
06-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Hi all.
I was thinking is it possible to be too well dressed for an interview? I mean what will be better to put on - a suit with a skirt or pants? Is black the only option? What color would you consider casual and at the same time classy?
And the shoes.... Oh the shoes, high heels or not, straps or no straps...
I am so confused ...

Any advice will be appreciated!

Tsveta
06-27-2006, 02:07 PM
It all depends on the interview. If it is an office position, dress business like- black, blue, gray...
It all depends on the company, ask you recruiter how to dress!
What is the position you are applying for?

lana
06-28-2006, 07:54 AM
I would dress with suit, pants or skirt, depending on the mood I'm in. Not too short skirt. Plain black shoes with a heel, nothing fancy. It is a good idea to ask your agent how to dress, he knows the company and the people who work there, so he can give you the best advice. :)

Good luck

Luke333
07-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Be conservative. There are few articles on this subject on WorkBloom.

katkat
09-06-2006, 10:57 PM
When you go into the office/store to drop off your resume, look at what peaple are wearing, and then dress the same or a little better. If everyone is in shorts and tshirts, dont go in a suit and vise versa. You can also ask about the dress code when you go in the first time, and follow that for your interview.

RRCSTUDENT
09-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Think one step up from what you would NORMALLY wear to such an environment. But, think comfort, as well. I have trouble with my feet so, if I can get away with it, I wear flats, not heels. Obviously, for an administrative job, you would dress more business-like than for a Fast-Food position. Hope this helped!

contractor
10-05-2006, 09:28 AM
A suit and a nice tie is a must for a job interview. I don't know about the women but I guess a suit too. Darker colors and dark CLEAN leather shoes. You will be surprised to know how many people think the shoes are not important. WRONG! Shoes are very important and they speak a lot for the person who wears them!

Ascended
11-19-2006, 07:57 PM
it depends on the place your going to, honestly if you're going to toys rus or bestbuy - a suit isn't required, nowadays dark denim and apolo, cardigan, button up or designer hoodie is good enough, obviouls if u going for higher end position, or a bank, or business, etc, then dress accordingly.

mattpiloto
11-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Good advice here. I'd agree that it really depends on the position. A suit for an interview at McDs is too much. I think the most important thing is to look neat and professional, regardless of what you are wearing. It is entirely possible to be wearing an expensive suit and still look like a slob.

Elle
12-06-2006, 08:17 PM
In my opinion you have to dress for success!!!!

The first impression you make on a potential employer is the most important one. The first judgement an interviewer makes is going to be based on how you look and what you are wearing. That's why it's always important to dress professionally for a job interview, even if the work environment is casual.

These are my suggestion's that I look for in a candidate in an interview:

Suit (navy, black or dark grey)
The suit skirt should be long enough so you can sit down comfortably
Coordinated blouse
Conservative shoes (closed toe shoes, make sure there clean!)
Limited jewelry (no dangling earrings or arms full of bracelets)
Professional hairstyle (putting you hair back in a low pony tail shows that you are pulled together)
Neutral pantyhose
Light make-up and perfume
Neatly manicured clean nails ( if you use nail polish keep it light, so nothing takes the employers attention off of you and what your saying)
Portfolio or briefcase (makes you look organized)

I hope this helps you !!!!

Kira007
12-14-2006, 03:11 PM
We recently added a section on this issue to WorkBloom. See signature.