Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : recent graduate - no references

morgan86
07-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Hi, I am a recent graduate and I am looking for my first real job. I am a little confused because I don’t have related work experience and I don’t have references from people in the same field. Do you have any suggestions? The recruiters are asking me for references and I don’t know what to tell them.

Tsveta
07-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Oh, I see what’s bothering you now. It wasn't quite clear from your previous message.
Every entry-level job requires more or less the same qualities:
- problem-solving skills
- leadership skills
- ability to work effectively with others
- manage your time effectively

You have to convince the recruiter that you possess these skills and abilities. Have been a full-time student? Can you get references from 2 of your professors or faculty members who know you? There must be somebody who can give you a good reference.

It doesn't matter that your previous job is not related to your field of study. The above are basic qualities that every recruiter and employer are looking for anyway.

morgan86
07-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks Tsveta! I can ask for references and I hope I'll get good ones :)
I just never thought of asking my professors. I somehow thought that only references form colleagues and managers do count.

contractor
08-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Hi, I am a recent graduate and I am looking for my first real job. I am a little confused because I don’t have related work experience and I don’t have references from people in the same field. Do you have any suggestions? The recruiters are asking me for references and I don’t know what to tell them.

You can ask for a reference a neighbor or somebody where you did some community work. Organizing, problem solving skills, ability to work in a team are always valuable and the employers are looking for those skills when they hire people. :cool:

lookingforjob
08-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Tell the recruiters that you are just starting out and they'll understand. You are not the first one looking for his first job you know ;). Everybody has to start somewhere, so don't sweat it.

kocoman
12-17-2006, 03:18 AM
Will some written letter from your former company "of dates and hours you worked" (what is that paper called?) help or is that paper useless??

Tsveta
12-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Will some written letter from your former company "of dates and hours you worked" (what is that paper called?) help or is that paper useless??

I think you need that only if you apply for unemployment insurance. Your employer must have given you a Record of Employment (ROE) with all the details filled out - first and last day worked, what was your pay, occupation and so on, but you don't need that when you apply for a job.

kocoman
12-18-2006, 09:50 PM
I think you need that only if you apply for unemployment insurance. Your employer must have given you a Record of Employment (ROE) with all the details filled out - first and last day worked, what was your pay, occupation and so on, but you don't need that when you apply for a job.

I mean a letter of references (so and so worked from -- to -- as a xxx at xxx as xx-time)