Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Working effectively with Recruiting Agencies

Tsveta
07-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Employment agencies are very important part of the working world. When you call an employment agency (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=1&sp=0)one of the first questions you have to answer is what kind of job you are looking for, and what skills do you have? Do your homework before that and be prepared to answer these questions. If the phone screening goes well, and they have position available, you’ll be invited to the agency to meet with a recruiter. This meeting involves in depth interview and sometimes skills testing. The interview at the agency is a rehearsal for the interview with your potential employer, so there are some important things you have to be prepared for:
1. Dress professionally.
2. Be prepared to answer all sort of questions especially – work experience and education related. Keep in mind that often they are checking you references!
If the agency decides to send you on an interview take advantage of it by asking:
1. Am I dressed properly for an interview with this company?
2. Can you give me any tips about the company?
3. How I present myself?
4. Do you have any suggestions?
Follow-up with the agency/recruiter after the interview to let them know how it went. This is very important! If you liked the company and the interview went well the recruiter Must know that!
For more tips follow the link below:
http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=4&sp=3

aladin42
07-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the article Tsveta!
One more question, do I discuss money with the agency or the employer?

lana
07-21-2006, 09:49 AM

You can discuss it with both. If it is a contract position most likely you discuss it with the recruiter. For the full time positions you discuss it with both.

ching
07-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Thank you for the tips.
I was thinking, is it acceptable to wear a short sleeved shirt for the interview? I guess it is hot in Canada during the summer months.

Tsveta
08-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Thank you for the tips.
I was thinking, is it acceptable to wear a short sleeved shirt for the interview? I guess it is hot in Canada during the summer months.

It depends on the company you are interviewed for. The best way will be to ask your recruiter what is the acceptable dress code.

lookingforjob
08-03-2006, 10:15 AM

The common practice is to discuss your salary expectations with the recruiter only. If the employer insists to know how much do you expect then you don't have much choice and you have to discuss it with him too.

mika
09-20-2006, 08:48 AM
If you have a contract with the recruiting agency you discuss money with them. The employer has a contract with the recruiters; they are the middle man, they discuss money with both.

comehome
09-21-2006, 08:48 AM
What do I do if the interviewer asks about my salary expectations and at the same time recruiter sent me to this interview? I think this can be a very uncomfortable situation. What do you think?

Administrator
09-21-2006, 09:20 AM
What do I do if the interviewer asks about my salary expectations and at the same time recruiter sent me to this interview? I think this can be a very uncomfortable situation. What do you think?

This has happened to me more than once and the important thing is to remain calm, and tell the employer that you'll be discussing your salary with your agent. If the interviewer keeps pushing for an answer (not likely) you can answer with something like "I really like your company and I would like to work for you, so please make me an offer and we can discuss it further."