Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Toronto software job market for contractors

SDuncan
07-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I'm moving to Toronto this fall and I have a few questions.
I'm a software developer with more than 7 years of experience and I would like to start my own consulting business.

How is the software job market in Toronto lately? Are there many job opportunities for contractors, or most of the positions are permanent?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tsveta
07-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Hi Steven,

Welcome to JobForum.ca!

From my own experience the job market is good. There are positions for contractors. You have chosen the perfect time to move. October and November are the best months for the jobseekers.

Cheers

SDuncan
07-20-2004, 07:10 PM

I was planning to move in the middle of September, but I might postpone it for the middle of October. I hope the demand for software contractors will remain strong in the near future; last thing I want is to start on a permanent position :(

Tsveta
07-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Yes the job market is not that bad. . I'm sure you're going to find a contract.
Some people prefer permanent positions because they give them sense of "security". There is no such thing. You can be terminated without any reason. If there is a major layoff you can do nothing. The best example in Canada is Nortel.
As contractor you get better rates and pay less taxes and if you are lucky to find longer contracts, it's definitely better. :)