Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : mat leave

whattodo
08-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi,
I am on maternity leave. I work as admin assistant in a small company. During my mat leave my boss sold the company (it was franchise) and now I don’t have a job to go back to. My question is what will be the best approach to future employers.
Do I tell them what happened or just tell them I decided to look for new opportunities?

Thanks

Tsveta
08-08-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't see a problem telling your recruiter what happened with your company. One year is a pretty long time and a lot of women don't go back to their old job anyway. Do you have any colleagues there who can give you references?

lookingforjob
08-08-2006, 01:30 PM
You can always talk to the company that bought your ex-company franchise.
They might have a position for you, especially after you have worked for this business before...

whattodo
08-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the replies. I don't have much time left to look for a job. I am not calling the company that bought us because they only bought our clients database and will work with them from now on. They are not expanding or something.
I can get reference from my previous manager. He found a job recently too.

bongi
08-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi,
I am on maternity leave. I work as admin assistant in a small company. During my mat leave my boss sold the company (it was franchise) and now I don’t have a job to go back to. My question is what will be the best approach to future employers.
Do I tell them what happened or just tell them I decided to look for new opportunities?

Thanks

Just explain the situation, plain and simple. After all it is the truth.

lana
08-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Just explain the situation, plain and simple. After all it is the truth.

I agree with bongi.
Just explain the situation, there is nothing to worry about.
Did you have any luck with the recruiters yet?

jojoba
08-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi,

Thanks

Did your boss pay you any compensation? I'm not sure it is legal to leave you without a job like that. Did they give any notice?

comehome
08-17-2006, 10:33 AM
This is a little off topic, but anyway here it goes. How much does the Canadian government pay you while you are on maternity leave? Does the payment vary from province to province or is it set on a federal level?

Thanks

lana
08-18-2006, 09:02 AM
It is a percentage based on your salary and there is a maximum payment per month. You get payments for 12 months. I really can't tell you any figures, sorry.

Tsveta
08-18-2006, 09:14 AM
This is a little off topic, but anyway here it goes. How much does the Canadian government pay you while you are on maternity leave? Does the payment vary from province to province or is it set on a federal level?

Thanks

I found it “Benefits usually cover 55% of a claimant’s weekly insurable earnings, to a maximum of $413 per week.”
This is from the Human Resources and Social Development Canada web site: http://www.sdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.asp?hr=/en/lp/spila/wlb/wfp/11Maternity_Leave.shtml&hs=

lana
08-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Great, thank you Tsveta! So it's up to $1600 per month :rolleyes:

I found it “Benefits usually cover 55% of a claimant’s weekly insurable earnings, to a maximum of $413 per week.”
This is from the Human Resources and Social Development Canada web site: http://www.sdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.asp?hr=/en/lp/spila/wlb/wfp/11Maternity_Leave.shtml&hs=

whattodo
08-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Did your boss pay you any compensation? I'm not sure it is legal to leave you without a job like that. Did they give any notice?

No, they just called and told me he is selling the company....When I think about it they had to compensate us!

katkat
09-06-2006, 10:21 PM
The basic rate is 55%. You cant work while you are on pregnancy leave, you can work while on parental leave and make 25% of your benefit rate before they take any off you ei entitlement. You can not however, earn that money from your regular employer.
There is a two week waiting period at the beggining that you wont recieve benefits for. The processing usually takes about a month after they get your ROE.
They take the last 14 weeks that you were at work and average it out, and then they calculate 55% of that as your bebnefit rate.
If your family net income is less than 25,900 and you recieve the CCTB,then you may be entitled to some or all of the family suppliment. This is an additional percentage of you weekly income that is added to your benefit rate. It is up to 80% instead of 55% depending on your income.
You have 17 weeks of pregnancy leave which can only be taken by the mother.
The parental leave is 35 weeks and can be taken by either parent. That is 35 weeks total. So, you can take time off together, it will count as double time.

katkat
09-06-2006, 10:23 PM
As for the shutting down of the business, if you do not have a job to go to after your leave, you can also recieve regular benefits if you had enough hours, so you can get the additional time to find a job.

newincanada
09-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Thank you katkat, for all the info. It is good to know how they calculate the benefits. I am always confused when I deal with government regulations anyway...