Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a job in Vancouver

monggomasus
08-11-2006, 02:31 AM
Hi, everyone.

I need some advice on job hunting in Vancouver. I am moving from California to Vancouver in early October. Just need your feedback if you have any about the following:

1. What is the job market like in Vancouver for someone like me who has a business degree, a master's degree and several years of private sector experience?

2. Do you have any advice on how to do the job hunting while I am still in the U.S. ? Any special tips on applying from the U.S. since I am not yet in Canada but will land pretty soon?

3. I have heard also about the boom in Alberta and I am thinking about going there too. However, my main concern is that recently there have been so many people going there to get jobs that it is now hard to find affordable housing even if Alberta lacks labor and pays relatively higher wages. Is this problem with housing true?

4. It seems like most new immigrants like me will wait a couple of months before finding a decent jobs, do you know of any temporary jobs (e.g. doing surveys) that can be done on part-time basis while applying for a job?

thanks a lot again and hope to hear from you soon.

Tsveta
08-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi,
I don't think you are going to have any problems with the job hunting. Is your degree and experience from US? You can try calling recruiters and try the 2 big job hunting web sites - monster.ca and workopolis.com
Here is a list of recruiting agencies (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=1&sp=1) in Canada.
A list of paid surveys (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=16)is also available.

The rents are currently a little overpriced in Calgary. I don't know about the rest of Alberta but the chances of finding a job there are much higher than in BC.

Good luck with your job hunt and keeps us posted!

monggomasus
08-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks. Tsveta.

Yes, my masters degree is from the U.S. I have had some work experience in the U.S., but most of my work experience is in Asia.

By the way, do you have any advice about applying for a job in Canada while I am still here in the U.S? I am plan to be there by early October. Any tips on how to go about it?

Thanks again.

Tsveta
08-11-2006, 02:33 PM
The job search process here is no different than US although the recruiters tent to be more relaxed :) I would suggest you call the recruiters directly and leave messages and follow up. That’s all.