Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : unemployment rates

jason
08-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Does anybody know what are the current unemployment rates in Canada?

lana
08-19-2006, 01:17 PM
That's an interesting question. It used to be 7-8% but now is 6.4% according to the Latest Release from the Labour Force Study - http://www.statcan.ca/english/Subjects/Labour/LFS/lfs-en.htm

At the bottom of the page is a table of the unemployment rates by province.

Tsveta
08-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the link Lana.
So the Atlantic Provinces have higher unemployment rates comparing to the rest of Canada. Alberta has only 3.6%, really impressive!

lookingforjob
08-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the link Lana.
So the Atlantic Provinces have higher unemployment rates comparing to the rest of Canada. Alberta has only 3.6%, really impressive!

Alberta has had a tremendous growth recently due to the booming energy sector there. I hear that the real estate prices are getting out of hand in Alberta, but that’s understandable given the great job demand and solid growth.

contractor
08-21-2006, 09:38 AM
I agree with lookingforjob.
The real estate prices there are crazy not to mention the rents....and still they have labor shortage.

Alberta has had a tremendous growth recently due to the booming energy sector there. I hear that the real estate prices are getting out of hand in Alberta, but that’s understandable given the great job demand and solid growth.

comehome
08-21-2006, 10:05 AM
I think 6.4% unemployment rate sounds great, but the question is, is this the real unemployment rate.

I guess Alberta (Edmonton, Calgary, etc.) will become the new magnet for newcomers to Canada. The fact that they have job shortage and booming economy should encourage more people to move there.

lookingforjob
08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
I don't believe that the unemployment rate in Canada is 6.4% only. I think is a few percentage points higher. Canada is a vast country and while one province might be booming, other can be in bad economic shape.

jojoba
08-22-2006, 09:08 AM
I don't believe that the unemployment rate in Canada is 6.4% only. I think is a few percentage points higher. Canada is a vast country and while one province might be booming, other can be in bad economic shape.

Atlantic Canada is not in such a good shape. Newfoundland and Labrador have 14.6% for July 2006 and PEI has 11.2 for the same month.

What about the territories, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut? I don't see them mention anywhere.

Tsveta
08-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Atlantic Canada is not in such a good shape. Newfoundland and Labrador have 14.6% for July 2006 and PEI has 11.2 for the same month.

What about the territories, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut? I don't see them mention anywhere.

Me neither. I am curious what their unemployment rates are.

jason
08-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Thank you all for the comments! Maybe Alberta is a better place for new immigrants after all.