Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Job search in Canada

comehome
08-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Hi,

I would like to start a discussion on various ways to do a job search in Canada.

The most common way for me is to use Internet, post my resume on job sites,
search online Canadian job banks. I've done some recruiter cold calling in the past, but not recently.

Please share your Canadian job searching experience? What worked for you, and what had not?

anderson
08-22-2006, 09:31 AM
All those are common job searching techniques. One thing that never worked for me are the online job applications. I've never got a call back, not even an email when I applied through an online form. You just go from screen to screen fill in endless fields and forms, waste you time, basically. :mad:
I wouldn't suggest anyone to apply for a job that way. Call employment agencies, this is what I recommend - more networking.

Hi,

I would like to start a discussion on various ways to do a job search in Canada.

The most common way for me is to use Internet, post my resume on job sites,
search online Canadian job banks. I've done some recruiter cold calling in the past, but not recently.

Please share your Canadian job searching experience? What worked for you, and what had not?

metoo
09-19-2006, 09:42 AM
I think that the job search in Canada is the same as anywhere else. You use various publications (papers, magazines, websites, and blogs) to search for job offers and if you find a job you like you apply for it. Of course you can publish your resume online, but this strategy is too passive for me. I prefer to initiate the contact with the recruiters and employers first.

Jim
09-19-2006, 11:38 AM
It depends on the job you are looking for. Some jobs you cannot find on the internet.
The more specific jobs can be found through some professional organizations, in papers and employment agencies specializing in the field - let’s say you are a doctor or a chemist. The online job banks are good for IT professionals, accounting, sales, etc.

metoo
09-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I agree that some jobs can be found offline easier, but for the majority of job online is the way to go. Searching for job online saves time and make the job searching process a lot easier.

kuchemishka
09-28-2006, 09:18 AM
I would add networking, networking, networking!
It is extremely important when you are looking for a job!