Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : How can an international student get a job????

windrider
08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi, everyone

I just graduated from UBC electrical engineer and I am an international student. I heard it is hell lot of harder for an international student to get a job in Canada. Can you guys give me a friend advice?

Helppppp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only have less 3 month left below I be kicked out.

Thanks a lot.:(

contractor
08-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi, Do you need a work permit?

I coupole of things that I consider important are:
-Polish your Resume and post it online.
-Update it every day
-Look for an entry level position.
Online you can look for a job in Alberta and BC at the same time.
Try the hidden job market. The most important thing is to talk directly with the recruiters and employers.

This is what I would suggest!

windrider
08-25-2006, 01:07 PM
thanks a lot, but how to find the hidden market?? i know that 85% of the jobs are not posted on monster.ca that kinda website because of the amount of money companys have to pay.

I have tried a lot. upload resume, call recuiters or even went through couple of interviews. now looks like the most thing standing in my way is my work permit problem and lack of experience. How can i fix this??

contractor
08-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Ok but how does this work? Do you need to have a job offer to obtain a work permit or it is the other way round?

What I meant by hidden job market is to do some networking, tell anybody you know that you need a job, call recruiters and send them your resume because if they have a perfect candidate for a job they won’t even place an ad for it. And follow up frequently.
You can't fix the lack of experience; you just have to gain one, that's why I was suggesting applying for entry level positions. You can try doing some volunteering work; this will give you an experience. I know that a lot of companies are willing to hire temporary workers to do some job for little or no money. I guess you have to look around and start knocking on doors. Get copies of your resume and start to drop it off in the offices. First do some research. Don’t go just anywhere and contact the local Organization of engineers, they may help you too.

windrider
08-25-2006, 10:40 PM
thanks, I will give a shot.

lana
08-28-2006, 07:35 AM
Ok but how does this work? Do you need to have a job offer to obtain a work permit or it is the other way round?

Don’t go just anywhere and contact the local Organization of engineers, they may help you too.

I think you have to get a job offer and than apply for the work permit.
I would contact the local Organization of Engineers.