Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : deciding between two jobs?

z00mz00m
08-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Hello there, im going into my first year of high school. I think i should have a good idea of what i want to do with my life so i can take appropriate courses in university. ive narrowed my choices down to two: becoming an engineer, or a pharmacist.

Engineering would be better because i do enjoy math and science. Plus engineering is something that has tons of more imagination and creativity, something i have plenty to share.

However, becoming a pharmacist has benefits too. I always did fancy the idea of being a doctor, but long hours, being on call often, and having to be comfortable around others bodies swayed me otherwise. Being a pharmacist allows me to be part of the medical field (and maybe hold the title "Dr."?;) ;) ), but with more predictable hours (probably the hours that the drug store has), not being on-call, and not having to see others bodies as much. Plus when looking around on the net, they seem to have a better average wage.

Does anyone has some advice or experience in either fields and would help sway me in a direction?

Thaaank you:D PS: Is this the right forum for this?

edit:sorry forgot to say im in alberta, canada.

Tsveta
08-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Hi, it's very good that you know what you want. Not many people know that in high school. If you are creative you probably have to go with the engineering but in pharmacology you can use your imagination too. Do not limit yourself with pharmacology only; you can work in a research lab, where your imagination will be of great help.

lana
08-28-2006, 07:37 AM
I've always wanted to work in a lab, always but never got a chance....
I would choose pharmacology.
:p

z00mz00m
08-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks for those comments. Im still really torn bewteen the two, and i dont really want money to be the deciding factor. Just a question about pharmacists: are they sometimes regarded as "someone who just couldnt make med school so they settled for pharmacy", like the phrase "Those who cant do, teach"? Or are they well regarded individuals?

This may seem like a even more stupid question, but would a male pharmacist have the same impact on people as, for example, a male nurse (no hard feelings), almost like they dont belong there? Because i always seem to see women behind the counters...:confused: :confused:

Tsveta
08-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Do what you feel you want to do and try not to think so much of what the people would think or say :)
I don’t think male pharmacists are an unusual sight.

lana
08-30-2006, 08:05 AM
This entire stereotype is wrong. I mean you don't see many women working on construction sites but it's obvious, it involves heavy lifting and women are not built for that but in pharmacology I don't think it makes any difference. I personally don't care if my pharmacist is man or a woman.

lookingforjob
08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks for those comments. Im still really torn bewteen the two, and i dont really want money to be the deciding factor. Just a question about pharmacists: are they sometimes regarded as "someone who just couldnt make med school so they settled for pharmacy", like the phrase "Those who cant do, teach"? Or are they well regarded individuals?

This may seem like a even more stupid question, but would a male pharmacist have the same impact on people as, for example, a male nurse (no hard feelings), almost like they dont belong there? Because i always seem to see women behind the counters...:confused: :confused:

I don't think you should be concerned with what people think about you or your profession. This is your life and your job, not theirs. You have to live your life and work your job, not them. Just choose a job you like, or you might be truly sorry down the road.

z00mz00m
08-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the replys. No, i dont really care what other think about my job, it is MY job afterall. I was just wondering.

I dont think i can really make a final decision yet. I think maybe taking bio/chem or physics in highschool will mkae the difference. If i like bio/chem more, pharmacology it is, if i like physics more, engineering it is. I think i just dont quite know enough about each and the education they require to make a final decision.

contractor
08-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the replys. No, i dont really care what other think about my job, it is MY job afterall. I was just wondering.

I dont think i can really make a final decision yet. I think maybe taking bio/chem or physics in highschool will mkae the difference. If i like bio/chem more, pharmacology it is, if i like physics more, engineering it is. I think i just dont quite know enough about each and the education they require to make a final decision.

That’s a wise decision. You are too young now anyways. You’ll see what you like more in a couple of years. I remember chemistry was one of my favorite in high school and physics one of my least favorite but it also depends of the teacher. If your teacher doesn’t make it interesting and doesn’t motivate you to think you most likely will loose your interest in the matter…