Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Queen’s University in Kingston

newincanada
09-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Is there anybody who can share information about Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario? I am interested in their Chemical Engineering program.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

katkat
09-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I used to live in kingston. Their chemical engineering program is very good.

The professors are excellent. The degree is highly recognized. The employment rate of gradutes is above 95%. They have just built new labs that are state of the art. They have very good internship programs.

Word of caution, for initiation, the engineering students are dyed purple, not their clothing, their skin. All over. It stays for about 3 months. It is a big tradition.

About housing, there are several options. A popular one is the ghetto. It is a large area where mostly students live. The landlords dont care, the students trash the houses so the landlord doesent care. There are parties every night where alcohol poisoning is not uncommon. It is very loud at night. If you want to party this is the place for you. it is not nesasarily less expensive.

The dorms are nice, but expensive and dont have kitchens, so you are forced onto the meal plan.

Off campus housing is sometimes less expensive, sometimes not. It is quiter.

There are lots of jobs for students. As soon as you tell them youre a student, they rush to hire you. THe same with student discounts.

There are lots of clubs to choose from in Kingston.

There is always some sort of festival or activity going on, lots to do.

Kingston is also a very tolerant and open society, womens lib, gay rights, alternative lifestyles, its all there. There is a large vegetarian population in Kingston.

Kingston is rich in history and you could learn for a year and still not know everything about kingston.

Thrifts shops are plentiful to get furniture, clothing, ect.

There are large parks and waterfront areas, it is very beutiful.

Please feel free to contact me and I can give you more info

newincanada
09-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Thank you katkat for all the info!
It is always good to know more about the city and the way of life there. Do they dye only the engineering students? Sounds like fun but it is a weird tradition :)
As for housing I will probably prefer somewhere quieter it depends on my budget too.

katkat
09-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Yes only their engineering students. Yes it is a weird tradition. They have a lot of those. If you want somewhere quiter, look around for areas slightly away from queens taht you could still walk to. Queens website has an accomodation listing service. The website is www.queensu.ca. you just type in accommodation listing service in the search field. You may want to look for a two bedroom to keep costs down with a roomate but one roommate is not so bad as 6. There is also lamb real estate and panadew holdings, both of which have websites. Panadew is very good but a bit away from Queens, you would want to invest in a bike.

SDuncan
09-13-2006, 08:41 AM
A friend of mine is a professor there. I hear very good things about the University. He teaches Computer Science if I'm not mistaken.

Is there anybody who can share information about Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario? I am interested in their Chemical Engineering program.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

SDuncan
01-25-2007, 09:02 AM
I may add that Kingston is a very nice town. Lots of young people and it has this academic spirit.