Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Recession hits job market hard!

twister64
03-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Anyone else out there finding it extremely difficult to find a job. I have recently relocated to the GTA to find a better job (Leaving behind a full-time position that was slowly cutting hours back). Almost 2 months of searching... I have been on 4 interviews (one being a 'training' scam). I find the more time that goes by the more depressed I get. Which in turn does not help the job search in the least, I mean who wants to hire someone that appears to have the joy ripped from their body?

Anyways sorry about the bit of a pitty post but I just wanted to see if I am alone on this.

Thanks for reading and good luck everyone!

Tsveta
03-27-2009, 09:05 AM
What kind of job are you looking for? It is indeed very difficult to find a job at the moment. I wish you good luck with the next job interview!

twister64
03-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Well more or less Im looking for anything inside. I have fair skin and cannot work outside (or would prefer not to). I have always worked in a factory setting. So with the recent manufacturing crisis I'm kinda screwed.

Thanks for the well wishings!

What kind of job are you looking for? It is indeed very difficult to find a job at the moment. I wish you good luck with the next job interview!

Tsveta
03-30-2009, 08:27 AM
did you try to apply for job at a warehouse, home depot or grocery store? I hear they can hire you very easy for the night shifts. I know that this is not your a desired job but is something...

RSTech
04-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Factory jobs are tough to come by right now, especially in Ontario where manufacturing has been drying up. I think the days of lucrative factory jobs are coming to an end, at least in this country.

I don't know how to go about penetrating the markets but if I was looking for a job right now I'd be looking at the energy sector. What about office work for an energy company? Try looking beyond the big guys such as Union Gas and Hydro One. In Ontario there is an influx of smaller energy companies who are taking advantage of Ontario's standard offer for purchasing green electricity. These companies are building wind and solar farms. I don't know where the control centers are located but these companies have all kinds of office workers like any other business. The difference is they are making money and will continue to do so and grow. Gengrowth, Kruger, Boralex are some of the companies investing in my neck of the woods.

Good luck.

twister64
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Tsveta: I have applied for all the grocery stores in my area with thus far not even so much as a phone call back. I don't really want to look for anything where I will have to travel too far since this type of job would not pay very much to begin with. I have also applied to many warehousing jobs, but since I don't have any previous forklift experience I seem to get overlooked their as well.

RSTech: The energy sector is something I never even thought of. Thanks I will look into this a little further. The only thing I did try for was the nuclear plant however it seems you need an engineering degree to sweep the floors there. I'm going to look at the alternative energy sector. Thanks for the tip.