Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Oil Rigs, Drilling help

ChrisCrash12
09-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Hello, I am 17 years old and i have no exp in Oil Rigs and Drilling. I am out of school living on my own, with my Girl Friend. My parents are crack heads so I left at the age of 15, I worked and went to school and I have grade 10 but thats all. Does anyone know where to go to get a job on a rig or drilling? I need to find a real job that pays me good. Thanks
Chris

katkat
09-18-2006, 09:45 PM
I would suggest going back to school, yes it will be hard, yes you will be broke. The fact is high scholl graduates earn on average 50% than non highschool graduates. There are alternative schools and distance learning so you can work. It is worth doing. Believe me I know. I dropped out and could not find a job until I went back and finished highschool.

katkat
09-18-2006, 09:48 PM
I do not want to discourage you, but I have experiance working on oil rigs. It is hot, hard dirty work. You work 12 hours a day 6 days a week. You are away from home in the wilderness and you cant have your girlfriend with you. In addition, you sometimes have to pay for your own lodging when you are working on the rig, so some of that salary goes out the window. It is really hard on a relationship. You will have to decide on the extra money, or being able to work in your own community.

lookingforjob
09-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Hi Chris,

What City do you live in? I must agree with KatKat that continuing your education is a better choice. I know you have to work while in school, and this is not going to be easy, but at the end you'll be happy that you stayed at school.

I remember reading a post on these forums from somebody who was trying to get a job in the Alberta oilfields and it wasn't easy at all. I'll search for the post and I'll post it here.

lookingforjob
09-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Here are the links discussing the oilfield jobs in Alberta:

http://www.jobforum.ca/showthread.php?t=131

http://www.jobforum.ca/showthread.php?t=343

I think reading them, might change your mind.

Ascended
11-19-2006, 11:00 PM
oilfields may involve moving up north which can be costly.. take a warehouse job in the city for 15-20/hr