Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Holiday

mika
09-20-2006, 08:55 AM
I am a contractor. My contract is ending soon but there is a possible extension coming. Can I take a holiday or should I wait? I mean if I say that I want a holiday they may not extend it... And if they extend it how can I ask for a holiday?

Vera
09-21-2006, 08:22 AM
How long are you planning to be on a holiday? If it is for a week everybody will understand. If they need you they will extend your contract. If they have a tight deadline then probably they’ll ask you to postpone your vacation otherwise I don't see a problem.

comehome
09-21-2006, 08:51 AM
You can tell your employer that you already booked the vacation before they told you about the contract renewal, and they should understand. If this vacation is a deal breaker, then is up to you to decide if you prefer the vacation or the contract ;)

metoo
09-22-2006, 07:55 AM
If you have a good rapport with your boss, you shouldn't be worried too much about that. Simply ask for vacation and chances are you'll get it. Only you know the answer of the questions you've asked, because every employee's position is different and it's hard to generalize.

Getting regular vacation is good for your physical and mental health too :)

lookingforjob
09-22-2006, 08:00 AM
Getting regular vacation is good for your physical and mental health too :)

Vacation is important for your health indeed. Two years ago I worked with a guy who resigned because our boss was postponing his 2 week vacation several times in the course of 4 months. This guy was very important for the business, that's why they were reluctant to give him the vacation he had earned, and deserved. The final result is that the business lost a very important and skilful employee over a 2 week vacation.

philip
09-23-2006, 03:48 PM
If you aren’t allowed to take time out went you want it are you really a contractor, doesn’t that make you more of an employee. As an employee you are entitled to certain holidays. Lets face it if you don’t get the advantages of freedom from working contract, then you may as well look for a staff job.
Hope you are going somewhere nice, looks like the summer is over here.

mika
09-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Vacation is important for your health indeed. Two years ago I worked with a guy who resigned because our boss was postponing his 2 week vacation several times in the course of 4 months. This guy was very important for the business, that's why they were reluctant to give him the vacation he had earned, and deserved. The final result is that the business lost a very important and skilful employee over a 2 week vacation.

This is what North America is all about. Work, work and more work. I realized that shortly after I landed. In Europe the vacations are 3-4 weeks at least.

Anyway I will ask for a week off!

contractor
10-05-2006, 09:31 AM
This is what North America is all about. Work, work and more work. I realized that shortly after I landed. In Europe the vacations are 3-4 weeks at least.

Anyway I will ask for a week off!

Yes, that’s true. I miss Europe and more particularly Germany... But anyway did you get what you wanted Mika?