Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Should I lie?

derekwj
09-25-2006, 11:43 PM
After being out of work for over 4 months, I'm getting desperate. I stumbled across a site called [NO Affiliate Links]

I have some serious ethical issues with some of the content but I can't deny that a lot makes sense.

Have any you lied on your resumes to get a job? Did you get caught? I'm about to make a serious decision moving forward and I want as much feedback before I do something that I can't undo.

Thanks

lana
09-26-2006, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't advise to do that. You may be desperate to find a job but this is not the way it works, particularly for me. What education background do you have and what type of job are you looking for?

RRCSTUDENT
09-29-2006, 10:25 AM
It's embarassing as hell if you get caught, and you wreck any chances you MAY HAVE had with that company. It's NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!

derekwj
10-05-2006, 11:38 AM
I pretty agree with your responses, but the more I research the subject the more it seems that many (up to 50% according to some studies) lie on their resumes.

I've got a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration.

lookingforjob
10-05-2006, 02:48 PM
I pretty agree with your responses, but the more I research the subject the more it seems that many (up to 50% according to some studies) lie on their resumes.

I've got a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration.

That's my observation also. In my previous contracts I've worked with many people who were close to completely incompetent, but if you open their resumes they are simply geniuses. I've seen people writing that they have over 10 years of experience with .NET and C# for example. They never bothered to check that these platform and language were released around 7 years ago.

jason
10-06-2006, 10:20 AM
That's my observation also. In my previous contracts I've worked with many people who were close to completely incompetent, but if you open their resumes they are simply geniuses. I've seen people writing that they have over 10 years of experience with .NET and C# for example. They never bothered to check that these platform and language were released around 7 years ago.

Hi, I came to Canada recently and this is astonishing. I've never thought about that until I read this thread. Does this really work? Do they lie about experience or technologies they are using? Don't the employers ask for any proof and references? And if they lie about technologies that didn’t exist, as lookingforjob said, how come the recruiters didn’t notice?

Ascended
11-19-2006, 08:02 PM
what goes around comes around faster than a gatlin gun. it's not worth it in the long run, cuz it'll bite you in the behind.

i unfortunately know this ;D

mattpiloto
11-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Never lie on a resume. A lot of companies will see it as a valid reason for dismisal, even years after they have already hired you.

RSTech
11-20-2006, 10:33 PM
I don't know how someone would even consider lying on a resume? It won't take long to catch up to you; the moment you are asked to put your so called knowledge and experience to the test you are in for a real treat.

Depending on what kind of job you are in this could be dangerous to yourself and those around you. Granted if you're doing say web design there probably isn't a real safety issue. In my line of work if I don't know exactly what I'm doing people could be seriously injured or die. It terrifies me to think there are people out there that would lie to get in a job which may put them in a position of trust and responsibility. I hope the Doctor in the E.R. didn't lie on his resume, or the Engineer who designed the bridge I'm driving on, or the architect who designed the roof in the mall I'm shopping at, etc.

I guess it boils down to people wanting the easy way out. They can't get (or don't want) a job they are actually qualified for so instead they lie to get one they are not qualified for instead of getting the necessary training, education or experience (climbing the ladder like everyone else). Stop trying to butt in line.

lookingforjob
11-21-2006, 09:44 AM
...Granted if you're doing say web design there probably isn't a real safety issue...

But there is, there is - the visitors can go blind looking at crappy designs :D

Elle
12-11-2006, 11:41 PM
You should not lie on a resume, you need to sell your self better, you just need a good resume, you should try to hire a resume writting service or do some research and change it your self.

Ask you self this:

1. your resume needs to be changed?
2. your salary expectations are to high?
3. do you have a cover letter??? Very important to have a great cover letter it will sell employers on reading your resume and having you come in to an interview.

I will try to find you a resume writting service if you need it.