Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : pay for working less than 3 hours

wetdog117
06-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Quick question:

I'm a student and I work as a waiter in a restaurant in Quebec and all of the waitstaff are frequently sent home before their shift is finished to save on labor costs. Is our employer legally obligated to pay us for at least 3 hours, regardless of how long we were actually there? (He doesn't)

Tsveta
06-12-2009, 02:06 PM
According to this article about Canadian Legislation (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=4&sp=4)"An employee must be paid for a minimum of 3 hours work unless they are hired to work less than three hours per day or are students." In Quebec might be different so better check with the Ministry of Labour.

joinaunion
07-26-2010, 04:05 PM
They are required to pay you for all your time there including waiting for an assignment of work.Heres the site you can read and i'll post 3 hour rule.
http://www.cnt.gouv.qc.ca/en/wages-pay-and-work/work-schedule/index.html
Indemnity for reporting to work (less than 3 hours worked)
An employee who reports to work at the express request of his employer or in the normal course of his employment and who does not work or works fewer than 3 consecutive hours is entitled to an indemnity equal to 3 hours of pay at his regular wage.

The employee is entitled to the tips received during this period. If the provisions concerning overtime assure him of a greater amount, the employee will not benefit from the 3-hour indemnity for reporting to work, but rather the number of overtime hours increased by 50%.

This provision does not apply in the case of superior force (example: fire) or when the employee is hired for periods of less than 3 hours (example: certain ushers, school bus drivers, school crossing guards, etc

Jim
01-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Quick question:

I'm a student and I work as a waiter in a restaurant in Quebec and all of the waitstaff are frequently sent home before their shift is finished to save on labor costs. Is our employer legally obligated to pay us for at least 3 hours, regardless of how long we were actually there? (He doesn't)

So you are saying that if you work for 2 hours he pays you only for 2 not for 3 which is the minimum?

joinaunion
06-08-2011, 04:07 PM
No they would be required to pay the minimum.
So your 2 hours worked plus the 1 hour to make 3 hours minimum,according to the law.
The only way they would'nt have to pay you is if you signed anything stating your shift is 2 hours or less.
Have you signed anything?