Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : UK Newbie saying hi!

fairylights
09-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi!

We've just put in our skilled worker application for PR and I've been advised to try finding a job in Canada as that would expedite our application. Problem is, I don't know where to start! I'm a graduate with a BA and an MA, but spent my pre-children years as a medical secretary and executive assistant. I now sell children's books and tutor ancient history around my kids.

Where do I start to find a job - do I just send my resume to everyone that I see that I could do and then deal with the immigration issues later? Has anyone been through this with advice to share? please?!?!

Thanks!

philip
09-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Welcome, where in the UK are you from, I am originally from Newcastle. The immigration process can be a tricky one; I have a lead that might help on the book sales position. Contact me on the below and I will make an introduction. You will love Canada!

Tsveta
09-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi,
Check out our new Job Offers (http://jobforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=16)section as well as the employment agencies (http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=1&sp=1)list.
Most of the jobs in Canada go through recruiting agencies.

Have you decided where in Canada you would like to settle?

fairylights
09-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks guys! We've been a bit determined to get the paperwork in, expecting it would take years to get the PR through to get started. I've put my resume on monster, and I'm just going to go with my gut. We have so many beautiful places to choose from that the decision over where to live keeps changing ... we're planning to road trip with the kids from Toronto to Vancouver next summer to see how we feel. I'll have to bring a bundle of resumes with me! :p

I have to say, although I have a lot of secretarial experience, the book selling is a lot more fun. My heart really is in literacy and books, so my fear is that I'll end up taking a job my experience has prepared me for, rather than one I'd love to do. I suppose that's the choice, really.

My son is due to start school over here next September, and whilst he's still small (and my daughter smaller) I don't think it'll do much harm to move over. The longer it takes the more difficult it will be, I suppose, thus the decision to try to speed things up.

I'll keep watching to see if anything appears, and any help will be very gratefully received!

lana
10-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Wow a road trip form Toronto to Vancouver! This sounds tempting but have you considered that it might be very tiring for your children? It is a lot of driving :) not to mention the boring landscape in the prairies. But you'll get rewarded once you see the Rockies.

philip
10-02-2006, 11:49 AM
I have to say, although I have a lot of secretarial experience, the book selling is a lot more fun. My heart really is in literacy and books!

I have a client that runs a publishing firm, not sure if they use book sellers but happy to make the introduction. [No self promotion allowed!] might be able to help with the visa situation as well you can bundle self employed contracts up and then use them as your permanent employer of record to help with your Perm res status.

contractor
10-05-2006, 09:33 AM
I have to say, although I have a lot of secretarial experience, the book selling is a lot more fun. My heart really is in literacy and books, so my fear is that I'll end up taking a job my experience has prepared me for, rather than one I'd love to do. I suppose that's the choice, really.

I'll keep watching to see if anything appears, and any help will be very gratefully received!

Hi

you can check workopolis.com for more job offers.

fairylights
10-05-2006, 09:38 AM
How do I know when looking at jobs here or on monster whether I can apply without a work permit or PR? I'm happy to apply to all of them, but surely the second they see England on my resume they'll run a mile?

lookingforjob
10-05-2006, 10:26 AM
How do I know when looking at jobs here or on monster whether I can apply without a work permit or PR? I'm happy to apply to all of them, but surely the second they see England on my resume they'll run a mile?

Most Canadian employers expect and want local candidates, and I think you'll be better off working with recruiter who has experience with arranging working visas. The thing is that the recruiters are strongly financially motivated to find the right candidate for the employers they are working with. The recruiters normally get 30-40% on top of what the employee gets (in case of contract).

fairylights
10-05-2006, 10:33 AM
that's fine - I'm quite happy for someone to take a cut if they're going to help me get my work permit! How do I find good recruiters used to getting work permits - any links/ideas?

lookingforjob
10-05-2006, 10:46 AM
that's fine - I'm quite happy for someone to take a cut if they're going to help me get my work permit! How do I find good recruiters used to getting work permits - any links/ideas?

One thing you can try is to contact job agencies that have offices in both UK and Canada. This way you can contact your local UK office and they can direct you to the right person in the Canadian office...

Administrator
10-05-2006, 10:49 AM
I did a quick search and found this agency, having lots of offices around the world including UK and Canada:

http://www.modisit.com/Locations/

You can check them out. I've never worked with them so do your own research.

fairylights
10-05-2006, 10:57 AM
thanks guys - I'll get onto that this evening - once littlies are tucked up and I'm free to concentrate!