Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do???

frenger
10-04-2006, 08:12 AM
I have many questions. If anyone is kind enough to answer what they know, fill me in on their experience, or just point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I am a UK citizen wanting to move to Canada to be with friends and loved ones.

What are my options?
I have done some research but I do tend to get different answers from different people and places I look.

Here are some things I want to research further.

Common Law sponsorship - does having a partner in Canada I've never lived with work? They would be willing to move in with me and do whatever it takes to make it work out for me and them!

Marriage - is this easier?
What do I have to do to prove a relationship. (Apart from photographs, I can't think what we have).
What are the costs? Worries? And things we must think of?

Skilled Worker Program - according to the CIC website, 80% of cases take 52 MONTHS to process at the London office. As a member of the EU can I move to Berlin and apply from there? It has way shorter processing times! Would that work?

If I applied for PR from the UK, would I be able to live in Canada (legally or illegally?). I have money saved and would be able to live fairly ok. Would I have to be in the UK for checks etc??

What other websites apart from the CIC website would be helpful?

Thanks if you can help me in any way!!!!

Tsveta
10-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Hi,

52 weeks processing time is not that bad. Some people wait 2-3 years to get to the interview. If you think that Berlin will be faster than do it. There is a slight chance for them to send back your documents to London, because you are UK citizen but if you live in Germany than probably they'll processed it there.
As for the marriage vs. common law partnership there is no big difference but if you are married maybe you'll get faster your documents.

You don't have to be in UK all the time but somebody has to check your mail regularly because this is the only way the embassy gets in touch with you.

frenger
10-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Sorry, I meant 52 Months not weeks!

I read that to apply from Berlin, I'd have to live there for a year first, is this true?

If I move to Canada and in with my partner, what do I do then?
Apply for common law? What are the requirements? Where can I find these?

If I lived in Canada during the time it took to process, or I remained in the UK does it make a difference??

Tsveta
10-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Well this really is a long period of time; I guess the embassy there is swamped with applications...

The best thing to do is to get your partner to sponsor you, either as a spouse or as a common law partner. I don't think it makes any difference because both are under the same class immigration. I don't know how you prove you are common law partners but I hope this link to the CIC web site will help you: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/index.html
Here is an FAQ: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/faq-spouse.html on how to apply for PR from within Canada.

frenger
10-04-2006, 03:17 PM
thanks for this link.
I'll spend however long it takes doing my own research but I'll probably be back with more questions pretty soon!