Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating multiple offers

daufoi
08-01-2009, 01:45 PM
I have been out of work for a long time (9 months). Finally I have received a job offer, actually 2. Neither of them are exactly ideal and I would like to get some objective opinions.

Job 1 - full time, permanent position. When I start base salary is 18% less than my previous position. Comes with dental, health and contribution to 401k. If you include the 401k contributions, compensation is 10% less than my previous position (although I am a long way from retiring). The company does not require for me to contribute in order for them to contribute so at least my base salary stays in tact. Also, I was told I can have a salary review after 6 months of employment. If I get the increase, the base salary would be 14% less than my previous position, and 5% less when including 401k contribution. I don't have this offer in hand but was told the intention is to make an offer (possibly by the end of this coming week).

Job 2 - part-time, 2 month position with the possibility of it going longer or permanent. Hourly, it is 5% less than my previous position; however since I will be working only 20hrs/wk, my salary would be halfed. No dental, health or 401k benefits. I have this offer in hand.

It looks like Job 1 would be better but if Job 2 goes full-time maybe I could get my old salary back. Also, I talked to a contact of mine and she said she might have a position for me in October (about the time Job 2 would end). The base salary would most likely be similar to that of Job 1 but I would lose the 401k. I plan on talking to her again before I make a decision. On the other hand, the work at Job 1 might be more interesting (I'm not too sure about that).

So, what do you consider best to take? Job 2 is less stable but if it goes full-time I would make more money in the long run. If it doesn't, I would make less. Also, I don't have an offer from Job 1, and Job 2 is looking for a commitment if I accept. They were considering other candidates and I don't want to accept the position and then bail when they could have hired someone else. So if you think I should take Job 1, how would you handle that?

Thanks in advance for the advice.