Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : 23 Years-Old - Still No Job - Please Help

Meerkat Mark
10-07-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm 23 years-old and have never had a job. I haven't had the guts to try getting a job all these years because I'm terribly shy around people and find it extremely hard to talk with new people, such as employers at a job interview. It's like I just "freeze" when I'm supposed to be telling them all about myself, or whatever they want to know about me.

Never having a job of course means I have no job experience, which employers want, and this just adds to my anxiety about getting a job. I see the interview process as a daunting interrogation, no matter how nice the interviewer may be.

Do any of you know of some jobs that don't require experience and don't require a lot of people skills?

Tsveta
10-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Maybe you should try volunteering. This is a great opportunity for you because there will be no interview and you will be around people. I think this will help you overcome your shyness and will give you an experience valuable to you and your Resume. You will learn how to work in a team which is very important when you start a real job.

m9dds0ug
10-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Remember this the employer need some one and it might as well be you . After all the only thing they can really say is no so that person or company wasn't for you . You just keep trying honest someone will say yes . Try that job big or small to gain confidence in yourself and abilities . If you decide you can do more train for what you want to be and search for the new job that will suite you . Remember this you can't go to work until some one askes you but if they don't know you exist you can't even get in the front door so that you can prove what a good employee you are . You can also start an independent business Meerkat you can do it just keep plugging along You need to believe in you before some one else will. Good Luck EH!:cool:

lana
10-11-2006, 09:25 AM
You need to believe in you before some one else will. Good Luck EH!

You are absolutely right! You have to be confident in your abilities. I'm sure it is difficult for an introvert person but that’s life, you have to deal with it. When you have a job you meet people. Just volunteer, help at the community sevice centre or at your neighbors convenience store, everything is an experience.

m9dds0ug
10-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Meerkat I don't know your educational back ground but I have found community college a good place to gain confidence a little bit at a time . Volenteering is indeed very similar you gain confidence when others speak to you and they have benefieted from your skill or knowledge . All of a sudden other people are just other people who really want to hear what you have to say and are glad to speak with you building your self esteem.:)

Meerkat Mark
10-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Lets think of some starter jobs that I, or anyone else starting off, could jump into as a first job that doesn't require much skill. Thanks again.

m9dds0ug
10-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Meerkat my father told me long ago to begin with summer jobs and not to do the same summer job every year . They should be of interest to you but not your lifes work after all thats what you are looking for in the part time job one that fits you your skills and education .:)

morgan86
10-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Hi Mark,

I was in the same position as yours. I am a recent grad with no experience. I have started calling recruiters and posted my resume on workopolis stating that I'm looking for a part-time entry level position. A recruiter called me and found me this job. Do you have any degree? If not you can indeed go to college to gain confidence and work as co-op.

Nick
11-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Its not a problem if you havent had a "real" job until 23.. as long as you can explain what you where doing all those years..try not to appear as too lazy..overemphasize whatever you have done:)

good luck

Nick

Agent_J
11-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Its not a problem if you havent had a "real" job until 23.. as long as you can explain what you where doing all those years..try not to appear as too lazy..overemphasize whatever you have done:)

good luck

Nick
I'm 23 years-old and have never had a job. I haven't had the guts to try getting a job all these years because I'm terribly shy around people and find it extremely hard to talk with new people, such as employers at a job interview.
so what should he emphasize then if he's never had any job? I'm actually in the same position as you Meerkat except I'm a bit younger.

kocoman
11-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Lets think of some starter jobs that I, or anyone else starting off, could jump into as a first job that doesn't require much skill. Thanks again.

Do you have some example in mind? I wonder what the job counselor(sp) will say if you ask that question.

Starter jobs is service/food/sales sector. To get into the office/management sector or the less physically demanding sector will need you to proof (with references from past work). thats how the employment ladder works. So you have to be a good player to survive a job (easy to say and easy to spoil it). Thats why this forum exist I think.

m9dds0ug
11-13-2006, 09:51 AM
What jobs have you thought you would like to do and think you are capable of doing. Whats your dream job . This will give us and Idea of which direction to help you.:)