Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Accountant issue

bongi
03-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Hi, I friend of mine is an accountant and now is the busy season for these companies and he has to work 45 days without a day off. Do you know if this is allowed? Don’t you find it a violation of the law?

Mike
02-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Hello:

It really depends on your friend's employment arrangements. If you enter into an employment agreement that is salary based, it can sometimes bypass things like that. Also, in those 45 days how many hours is he working? This plays a role in the situation as well. Often in a situation like this the employee is getting paid the appropriate overtime, in which case you might gladly work day in and day out for the higher wages. There are ways around required days off, but basically as far as I know employee and employer need to be in agreement, such as it being part of the employment contract.
All the details of this topic can be found here:
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.asp?hr=en/lp/lo/lswe/ls/publications/9.shtml&hs=lxn

bongi
04-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the link Mike,

Very thorough guide. I thought that the maximum time an employee may work each week is 40 hours but it turns out is 48 hours. Very useful resource, thanks.

lookingforjob
04-25-2006, 02:24 PM
That's why I do only contracts :). You get paid for every single minute overtime. It makes me feel better about myself ;).

lana
04-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I thought that the maximum time an employee may work each week is 40 hours but it turns out is 48 hours.

I didn't know that either. But sure your friend gets a handsome bonus after that :cool: doesn't he?

lookingforjob
05-01-2006, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't rely much on future bonuses or promises. Every hour you work should be paid in my opinion, instead of letting the employer to decide if you deserve a bonus.

whitey
05-04-2006, 03:17 AM
You dont generally get a bonus for working overtime
These days you are almost expected to work overtime, up to 1 or 2 hours per day, for no pay!