Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : European work experience

keydil
10-15-2006, 02:20 PM
My wife and myself intend to live in GTA, or somewhere else in Ontario. We are going to get our immigration papers ready in coming months. I have got my BS in engineering in Brussels (belgium). My wife is a nail esthetician, and I have more than 8 years experience in IT, mostly in big american companies here in Brussels.
I wish to know how valid my experience would be for canadian employeers. Because I have heard that Canada does not consider non-north american experience, and therefore they would pay me ad somebody who has no experience, and has just finished his studies. Is that right ? Do the employeers ask for a canadian degree, or they accept engineering degrees obtained in europe? Or they just don't care about the degree, and only the knowledge and performance are taken into account ?
Thanks,
keydil

Tsveta
10-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi, I'm afraid I may be repeating myself but IT is an industry where the Canadian experience is not so relevant, however most of the recruiters will ask you for it, so be prepared. You have been working for American companies and I would suggest you to highlight this in your Resume. Newcomers come to Canada every year and they all have work experience from different countries. You have to be confident and show the potential recruiter/employer that you have all the skills and abilities to perform well here and will be a valuable asset to their company.
The employers accept degrees from Europe especially in the IT field.

Olga
10-16-2006, 09:13 AM
My wife and myself intend to live in GTA, or somewhere else in Ontario. We are going to get our immigration papers ready in coming months. I have got my BS in engineering in Brussels (belgium). My wife is a nail esthetician, and I have more than 8 years experience in IT, mostly in big american companies here in Brussels.
I wish to know how valid my experience would be for canadian employeers. Because I have heard that Canada does not consider non-north american experience, and therefore they would pay me ad somebody who has no experience, and has just finished his studies. Is that right ? Do the employeers ask for a canadian degree, or they accept engineering degrees obtained in europe? Or they just don't care about the degree, and only the knowledge and performance are taken into account ?
Thanks,
keydil

Hi,
I have a lot of friends in Canada/Toronto and they all have good jobs. They all are from Europe. This Canadian experience myth is a little exaggerated and I think they care about your degree very much. I work for American company too with SAP and I'm thinking to get a job in the same company but in their local branch in Toronto. (I landed 3 months ago and I'm coming back to Canada next summer) Can you do something like that? I mean just get transferred in the local branch here?

lookingforjob
10-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks,
keydil

I too have European Master's degree and I never had problems with the so called "lack of Canadian experience". You can hear this nonsense from recruiters trying to lowball you, but that's about it. I don’t see how the Canadian IT experience can be any different than Belgium IT experience. The corporate culture may be different, but not the actual job.

What US companies have you worked for? What technologies do you have experience with?