Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Cover letter tips

Tsveta
10-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Top 10 Cover letter tips

Cover letters are typically one page documents. The cover letter is a business letter directed to a prospective employer that indicates your interest in employment with an organization. Usually it accompanies your resume, aiming to introduce it. Since resumes arriving without a cover letter are rarely read, think of the resume and the cover letter as a team.

1. Keep it short and on topic.
2. Emphasize your strengths.
3. State your skills and degree upfront.
4. Personalize it to a specific individual if possible
5. Tailor it to the position you are applying for.
6. Write about your salary expectations.
7. Clearly state that you are available for an interview.
8. State why you are interested to work for them.
9. Include contact information, phone or email and time you can be contacted for an interview.
10. Thank them for their time and express confidence that you will meet.

mirinda34
10-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the tips Tsveta!

The thing that bothers me is that the article recommends writing about my salary expectations. If I write too little they will consider me not worthy, if I write too much, same thing. This could be a deal breaker. Is it really important to discuss my salary in such an early phase? How do I know if my expectations are realistic?

meperidine
10-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Yes, I don't include a salary range unless the job posting specifically mentions it. In fact I will wait for the interviewer to bring up salary expectations. Being too focussed on money gives a negative impression. That said it is a part of due dilligence to know the current market. I think its wise to ask for the higher end of the range. Lowballing yourself doesn't make you more attractive.

contractor
10-21-2006, 02:44 PM
I agree with you. I've never included my salary expectations in my Cover letter or Resume. I am always afraid that if I do a lot of job opportunities may slip through my fingers.

One more thing - After sending your Cover letter and Resume ALWAYS follow up!

Kira007
11-06-2006, 09:50 AM
WorkBloom has recently relaunched its website, featuring cover letter tips and more. Please click on the signature link to be re-directed.

Agent_J
11-06-2006, 11:35 PM
great tips Tsveta, will be adding those to my cover letter, thanks :)

Ascended
11-19-2006, 09:29 AM
salary range usually tends to be the most awkward aspect of the whole job application process

Workaholic0099
06-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks for these tips - i am continuously applying for new jobs all the time and my CL are alway too long!

jburcg
11-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I like what you wrote, and I agree with all but you forgot to add the most important thing employers look for.

The ONLY thing that matters to employers is if you save them time and money. So; show in your cover letter times that you have done so. Ie; saved company 1 million by.... show facts, not opinion.

They want to see that you are not going to waste there time, or money.

I heard this from a resume expert at hreyesonly that gave me the free advice when I uploaded my resume and cover letter. They called helped me write it, and I got a job.

It works.

Momo3
12-18-2008, 08:47 AM
The biggest tip that I can suggest is to MIRROR their company's requirements with your qualifications. Target your cover letter perfectly -- aim exactly at what they want (with what you have). This is the best advice I can give.

moneysearcher
03-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Top 10 Cover letter tips

Cover letters are typically one page documents. The cover letter is a business letter directed to a prospective employer that indicates your interest in employment with an organization. Usually it accompanies your resume, aiming to introduce it. Since resumes arriving without a cover letter are rarely read, think of the resume and the cover letter as a team.

1. Keep it short and on topic.
2. Emphasize your strengths.
3. State your skills and degree upfront.
4. Personalize it to a specific individual if possible
5. Tailor it to the position you are applying for.
6. Write about your salary expectations.
7. Clearly state that you are available for an interview.
8. State why you are interested to work for them.
9. Include contact information, phone or email and time you can be contacted for an interview.
10. Thank them for their time and express confidence that you will meet.

Your tips are really worth following, I will also suggest trying some techniques like calling up the recruiter to understand the personality of the hiring manager or which department requires the role advertised. It will not be too difficult if you are targeting something very specific to your domain before sending the cover letter and resume.

halo6
03-20-2009, 11:11 PM
I would not include your salary expectations unless asked.

Even then, I would put in a range. OR tell them that you are open to any competitive offer. Pinning yourself down on a specific number can be risky. Too low...they start wondering about your skill level or experience. Too high, then you are over budget. Unless you are absolutely certain about the salary range within a few grand, I would not take the risk.

hockey
09-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Brilliant tips Tsveta. Writing a great cover letter could take a bit of time and patience, but it's definitely an investment that can pay off big time! If I may add, keep it simple and use job-appropriate language (or not too stuffy) and avoid pretentious phrases.

albissmith
09-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks a lot for sharing this important information on cover letter.I was really seeking these kinds of help.It's going to help me and other people as well.:)

zenaire
12-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Brief but I must say very useful ones...

readerenglish
07-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the tips Tsveta!

The thing that bothers me is that the article recommends writing about my salary expectations. If I write too little they will consider me not worthy, if I write too much, same thing. This could be a deal breaker. Is it really important to discuss my salary in such an early phase? How do I know if my expectations are realistic?

I think mirinda34 is write we would not be able to put the salary expectation upfront instead say that only when asked.

I think Cover letter is still part of CV and it should include only vital info.

job_forum
08-13-2010, 01:43 AM
yes i agree with this point salary expectations will never put on Cover letter or Resume.

Dan Sm.
08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
A cover letter should be written more like a sales letter. Even though it may seem creepy, you are after all selling your skills to the employer. Just like you would sell a product and try to convince or show the costumer why its better then the next one, you have to convince the person reading the cover letter that you're the one for the job!

rachaellyone
12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks for good resources about resume and cover letter