Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Do you think you are underpaid?

lana
10-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Do you think you are underpaid?

morgan86
10-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi,
I am underpaid but the reason is I have no previous experience. I am happy with the job I found because it's a jump start for my next job. I think my employer knows very well that I am underpaid but he also knows that I need him :) Basically we all are happy.

jojoba
10-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Who is not? :)
There is nobody out there who thinks he gets enough money for what he does. You were happy when you first started the job but if there is no salary update you start to feel you do too much work for what they compensate you...

contractor
10-21-2006, 02:41 PM
I can't complain of my salary. All I complain of are the high taxes.....:)

Paul
10-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Well it depends. In which province do you live? Some provinces have lower taxes.

I feel I am underpaid because I used to be a contractor and they forced me to convert to full time and now for the same job I am paid less. There are some benefits but in general permanent employees are underpaid comparing to contractors.

SDuncan
11-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Well it depends. In which province do you live? Some provinces have lower taxes.

I feel I am underpaid because I used to be a contractor and they forced me to convert to full time and now for the same job I am paid less. There are some benefits but in general permanent employees are underpaid comparing to contractors.

When you are full timer you get bonuses, medical and dental insurance, in some companies even a retirement savings plan (or whatever it's called). If you work on contracts you don't get any of these.

RSTech
11-14-2006, 07:26 PM
If you work on contracts you don't get any of these.
That's right, the higher pay has to pay for all these things including, but not limited to, liability insurance, worker's comp. insurance, hardware, software, tools, medical benefits, advertising costs, etc. Also, some contractors (such as myself) don't always get paid for a 40 hour week. I might work 20 hours one week, 60 hours the next...the pay needs to compensate for the risk associated with the ups and downs of being a contractor.

mattpiloto
11-15-2006, 10:53 AM
My salary is about average for my profession, but I am currently in a position below my credentials.

Ascended
11-16-2006, 07:47 AM
i work on commission and make more than more professionals, so I think that i'm getting paid alright ;)

plaw
09-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I am underpaid.

However, do you know if it is legal for a company not to give any you a raise even after working for them for three years?

Background: the company are still expanding. They had only about 1000 employees when I was hired. Now, they have over 8000 employees.

RSTech
09-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I am underpaid.

However, do you know if it is legal for a company not to give any you a raise even after working for them for three years?
I'm not aware of any laws requiring a company to give raises. The only exceptions I can think of are negotiated contracts requiring scheduled raises such as in a Union environment and in keeping up with minimum wage.

Employee writes
11-22-2007, 01:22 PM
I work for a federal crown corporation, For 11 years i have worked a split shift 10.30 till 6.30 with a 2 hour break between 1 and 3, I have worked between those hours and never recived pay, I am non union, Just recently i tried to get a union going, 15 minutes after that i was reclassfied to part time. My postion was Deleted. I made 16,000.00 in 1998 part time, And this year made 14000,00 full time, Does anyone feel i have recived a fair deal after 18 years? And can i take legal action against them?:confused: