Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Called in sick

amal
10-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi, I have been sick for a couple of days and now my employer wants a note from my doctor. I don't have a note because I didn't go to see my doctor...
What should I do?

Tsveta
10-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Well, an employer is allowed to ask for a note from your doctor that you needed a personal leave and the employee is required to provide such a note. What you can do is go to your doctor and explain the situation. Is your employer very keen to get a note from you?

amal
10-20-2006, 12:21 PM
I didn't think about it when I got sick. I'm smelling trouble if I don't give a note. Do you think I can get fired because of this?

Tsveta
10-23-2006, 09:13 AM
They can not fire you if your sick leave is personal emergency. Did you talk to your doctor?

almo81
10-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm curious. Where I am, if you go to a doctor and ask for it,, he'll give you sick leave - even backdated: Its very logical when you think about it.

Won't a Doctor in Canada do this for you?

Tsveta
10-24-2006, 08:54 AM
I've never done it but maybe he would. Just next time a personal emergency occurs, call your doctor the same day.

lookingforjob
10-24-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm a contractor and when I need a day off, I don't have to pretend thatI'm sick :). I just ask my boss for a day off and most of the time he doesn't mind...

amal
10-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi, Thanks for your help. I got a note from my doctor but he told me next time I have to call him first. I think he has a point.
Now I hope I don't get fired....

amal
10-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Am I getting paranoid or it's true that I cannot take time off work to go to a doctor or dentist?

Paul
10-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Am I getting paranoid or it's true that I cannot take time off work to go to a doctor or dentist?

Hi Amal,

It depends on the employer. Ask your manager if you can leave an hour early for your doctors’ appointment. It shouldn’t be a problem.

Tsveta
10-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi Amal,

If your employer has 50 or more employees you are entitled to 10 personal emergency leave days per year. These sick days can be used to attend a doctor's appointment. This is according to the Ontario Ministry of labour.

Don't get paranoid. You can't get fired because you had an appointment with your doctor :)

amal
10-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks Tsveta for your patience.

I needed that information because my employer is very picky!

Ascended
12-05-2006, 07:52 AM
lol, it's kinda funny how this topic is about being sick and your username is 'amal- mal being french for sick hehe.. don't worry be happy!