Canadian Banks Canadian Loans

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Canada

Robert & Sarah
10-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi all. :)

We are after some general information.

We have been thinking for sometime about moving to Canada, (Winnipeg area) from the UK.

Of all that we have found out about life and the people of Canada, we would move in an instant.

Our only concern is employment opportunities. I (rob) work as a Management Accountant in England, and although this is a quite well paid job here, I anticipate that I would have difficulty getting a similar job in Canada with the qualifications I have.

I will take a lesser paid job while I gain qualifications and experience.

Would I be able to gain a reasonable standard of pay while learning?

We would be grateful of any feedback anyone can give, so we can start the long wait for a PR !!!

Thanks. :D

philip
10-19-2006, 09:23 PM
hi
where in the uK are you moving from (i moved from york 5 years ago) why winnipeg?

lana
10-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi,

You can try to fond a job remotely (this will speed up your application) but maybe you should check first if there are some accounting standards that you have to meet. I don't think it will be much different but it won't hurt to check.
This is the web site of the Certified Accountants in Ontario: http://www.cga-ontario.org/ and this is the Canadian Certified Management Accountants web site: http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm/ci_id/45/la_id/1.htm

I found the Chartered Accountants of Manitoba web site too: http://www.icam.mb.ca/index.html

Why did you choose Winnipeg? Do you have friends there?

Hope this helps

Tsveta
10-20-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't see why you have to settle for less.
You know you have qualifications and experience and you are confident you can do the job. Maybe you should check if you need some certifications in order to practice in Canada.

When are you planning to come?

Hi all. :)

We are after some general information.

We have been thinking for sometime about moving to Canada, (Winnipeg area) from the UK.

Of all that we have found out about life and the people of Canada, we would move in an instant.

Our only concern is employment opportunities. I (rob) work as a Management Accountant in England, and although this is a quite well paid job here, I anticipate that I would have difficulty getting a similar job in Canada with the qualifications I have.

I will take a lesser paid job while I gain qualifications and experience.

Would I be able to gain a reasonable standard of pay while learning?

We would be grateful of any feedback anyone can give, so we can start the long wait for a PR !!!

Thanks. :D

Robert & Sarah
10-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

We are currently living in Eastbourne, which is on the south coast of England.

We favour Manitoba as we would be able to pay for a property outright, which will lessen the urgency to find suitable employment. We would consider moving within Canada, once we found our feet. As soon as we have the confidence to send forms (we have them all filled in!!! :eek: ) we will, although understand that its a lenghty process.

Although I (rob) work as a Management Accountant in England, the qualification I have is the AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians), which is not recognised (as I understand) in Canada.

Our only worry is that I would not be able to gain a reasonable job while gaining a recognised qualification. Obviously most Accounting principals are the same, but there are differences such as local and national taxes. I will read up on Canadian tax law etc.. while awaiting our PR.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.:)

meperidine
10-20-2006, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't move to Winterpeg just to get a cheap house. The most important thing is to do due dilligence on the potential job market. I don't know your field, but Manitoba isn't generally a hotbed for anything. Which is why housing is cheap. And small markets means poor liquidity.

The population density in Canada doesn't require you to isolate yourself. You can find affordable housing just outside big cities. An hour outside of Toronto is small towns, 90 minutes is just about wilderness. Of course the commute during rush hour would be insane. But you need to live within driving distances just to get interviews. It would be a mistake to tie yourself down to an area without good job opportunities.

contractor
10-25-2006, 09:27 AM
I think you are right about Winnipeg. I've read somewhere that the mayor is having a hard time trying to keep the people from leaving the city.
But to commute 2-3 hours a day? ... That's not an option either.
I have friends who moved from Toronto to Newmarket and they commute 3 1/2 hours a day. That's insane... By the way they are moving back to Toronto next month.....

I wouldn't move to Winterpeg just to get a cheap house. The most important thing is to do due dilligence on the potential job market. I don't know your field, but Manitoba isn't generally a hotbed for anything. Which is why housing is cheap. And small markets means poor liquidity.

The population density in Canada doesn't require you to isolate yourself. You can find affordable housing just outside big cities. An hour outside of Toronto is small towns, 90 minutes is just about wilderness. Of course the commute during rush hour would be insane. But you need to live within driving distances just to get interviews. It would be a mistake to tie yourself down to an area without good job opportunities.

lookingforjob
10-25-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't think it's a good idea to buy real estate in Canada right now. I believe that the Canadian real estate market is at its peak, and very soon there will be significant price correction downwards. I know that my opinion is not very popular (most people want to believe that their precious homes will go up in value forever), but if you look at historical real estate price data you'll notice that this market is very cyclical and now it's time for bear real estate market again. I can't wait for those cheap condos flooding the Toronto market :).

futurepop
10-26-2006, 09:28 AM
I've never been in Manitoba. Sure the houses are cheap comparing to other provinces but the salaries are lower too.

lookingforjob
10-26-2006, 12:10 PM
I've never been in Manitoba. Sure the houses are cheap comparing to other provinces but the salaries are lower too.

The lower salaries is not the only problem in my opinion. The main problem is that the job market there is considerably smaller compared to Ontario, Quebec and Alberta. I wouldn't go to Quebec, but I'm just fine here in Toronto :)

Robert & Sarah
10-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! Any feedback is very gratefully received.

We are still keen to move to Manitoba, does anyone out there live in Manitoba?

Stephen
10-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi Rober and Sarah,

I've never been to Manitoba but I can see why you want to go there. Manitoba may not have so much to offer like Ontario or BC but if you own your house what's the big deal? You have no worries :)
Am I right? Even if the salaries are lower, you don't have a mortgage.

Robert & Sarah
10-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks Stephen.

I still hope to get a reasonable job, but without a mortgage as you say it would be much easier.

All we really want to know, is the prospects of gaining a reasonable job, I would like to gain canadian qualifications to suppliment my UK ones, but would consider anything while training.

Thanks again

Tsveta
10-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi, have you tried looking for a job just to feel how the job market in Manitoba is?

Robert & Sarah
10-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Tsveta

Yes I have e-mailed some agencies but there has been a lack of feedback, those who did reply would only be happy to help when we arrive in Canada.

I have also been advised by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Manitoba that it does not recognize my AAT qualification for purposes of reciprocal membership, but I would receive credit for some of my education and experience.

Thanks.

Tsveta
10-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi,
This is very common. For some reason the recruiters prefer to work with people who are already in Canada. A lot of job seekers get that feedback....It is a little discouraging.
You can check what will be the average salary for your position here: http://www.jobagencies.ca/index.asp?p=13

Manitoban-Man
02-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi Robert.

I am currently living in Winnipeg, and working at one of the big four accounting firms. The market actually isnt too bad for accountants in Winnipeg right now, especially for those with experience. Reply back if you have any additional questions. Love to help you out, maybe I can even get you in contact with our HR staff.